Honored Contributor

Re: What Is The "Craziest" Thing That You Have Ever Done?

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

@songbird   By ‘people’ guess you mean me? and why are you surprised I ‘admitted’ to being married at 17 y.o.

???  am I supposed to be ashamed to say this - not admit!

Well not admit.  But at 17 is still pretty young.  In the 1940's the average age was 16.  And when I was in high school, I was shocked to see a 16 year old married (and not pregnant)  It's a generation thing.  I don't know.  When I was 17, I still thought of myself as a kid. I mean at 17, I was thinking of college.  I had a serious boyfriend, but it never even occurred to me to get married. If I thought of marriage it was after my Batchlor's degree at least.  Also my boyfriend by then had a Masters'. Even then I thought of practical things.  I wanted to be a professional and marry a professional. I came from a family of Academics.

Esteemed Contributor

I am pretty tame and don't do many crazy things.

I never jumped on a pogo stick until my young son

got one last summer. It took some practice but by

the next day I am as good as my son, we can bounce

on it for a pretty long time.

Would love to try a unicycle next.😊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

@songbird   By ‘people’ guess you mean me? and why are you surprised I ‘admitted’ to being married at 17 y.o.

???  am I supposed to be ashamed to say this - not admit!

@dulwichone of my best friends got pregnant at 16 and was married to the guy at 17.  Unfortunately, they got divorced after 23 years of marriage however I think that was because they had a child so young and never got to really be teenagers themselves.  

A co-worker of mine was married the day after she graduated.  I think it happens more than some think.  I was still in college when I got married. Not something I'd recommend. That was hard.  LOL      

Honored Contributor

To many to list.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Skydiving was always on my bucket list but the older I get, the more I've amended my bucket list.  Skydiving and bungee jumping were always at the top of the list and I've not done either one.  I did go parasailing about 10 years ago.  My particular package included two dips and I saw a HUGE fish at the surface of the water about where I expected my dip to be.  I was just positive it was a shark but really have no idea.  On this particular dip, they accidentally let me go deeper than they intended.  I was not happy.  But, parasailing is something I would do again.  It was actually quite enjoyable and relaxing (except for seeing the fish....LOL).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@songbird  Again the assumption re ‘professional’’ f.y.i. I graduated from London School of Economics, also attained my R.N. In nursing used both degrees.

DH also graduated, Ph,D. and was a Director for many years with Total the French oil company later being asked to join a music venture -  very successfully.  In U.S. I nursed in S.F.  then after used my economics background and was employed at Stanford University then I retired.

Not bad for two kids that would ‘shock’ you.  P.s. My husband’s father was honored by the Queen, served in the military was a Colonel, my father a barrister in London.  Academic enough?

Academics mean nothing - people are more important whether they come from ‘‘academia’ or a ghetto that is where real life is.  Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Very hard fir your friend.  Glad to say I was not pregnant and we never had our first baby for 6 years having established our lifestyle in London by then.

Respected Contributor

As I get older I become more afraid of crazy things like skydiving etc.  Years ago we did parasailing in Mexico and it was lovely.  Now I'm too afraid to do it. Ziplining, things like that, I'm terrified of. I guess there is no thrill worth me possibly dying from. I'm such a WUSS!  And I like it like that. I rarely drive over 50mph. I'm afraid of slipping in the tub and falling down stairs. I never used to be like this.  I guess I'm enjoying my life if I'm that afraid of dying LOL

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

As I get older I become more afraid of crazy things like skydiving etc.  Years ago we did parasailing in Mexico and it was lovely.  Now I'm too afraid to do it. Ziplining, things like that, I'm terrified of. I guess there is no thrill worth me possibly dying from. I'm such a WUSS!  And I like it like that. I rarely drive over 50mph. I'm afraid of slipping in the tub and falling down stairs. I never used to be like this.  I guess I'm enjoying my life if I'm that afraid of dying LOL

@Grouchomarx  Isn't amazing how much more cautious we are as we grow older???

I miss the "fly by the seat of my pants" young me!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was married at 17 and I am not a risk taker. I knew it was right, and 55 years later we are still together, and still happy, and in love

I wouldn't change anything ,or trade my life with anyone

I was not pregnant either. Our oldest is 53. Those were different times for  women, and in someways I think better ones.  Other people might not agree, but that is how it was for me, and many of my friends