Valued Contributor

Re: What Is The Worst Shipping Charges You Have Seen?

Agreed some things are overpriced BUT shipping is NOT cheap! Not being snarky, but shipping is high if you're paying retail rates on any bulk item.

I'm absolutely positive large companies get a discount or have the volume to offer "free" shipping they can absorb, but small time sellers (such as myself) pay retail rates. A medium size purse as an example recently cost $17 to ship across country. I paid $34 to ship 4 drapes that were too big for a flat rate priority box. I don't make up shipping.prices, and do not sell at the level to absorb this fee myself.

So please keep in mind if buying on eBay, Etsy, etc. My prices are competitive, but I'm not subsidizing shipping too!! And people "balk" if you raise prices to "cover" shipping. Most people understand small time businesses or people selling part time as a hobby. Those that don't personally aren't worth my time or hassle.
Esteemed Contributor

Olive & Cocoa . Their shipping charges are not based on what an item weighs but rather the price of the item .Example shipping is over $33  for  a   kimono that they sell for $224  that is packaged in a wood crate with ribbon . Anything over $200 there is a 16% shipping fee for standard delivery .  Their shipping charges have been the most ridiculous that I have seen.  They have some cute  bed  clothing, flowers , decorating items, cookies,  and childs items . I just won't buy from them .

Trusted Contributor

Sundance has such pretty items, but their prices are rather high to begin with.  Would never pay that much shipping for clothes, shoes or jewelry!

Honored Contributor

Sundance gets my vote. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I saw a top I really liked on Sundance.

The SH were $17.95!!!

That SH was a shocker!!!!!

I didn't order.  The top wasn't heavy at all.

@ECBG   Pretty clothes but their shipping is out in the stratosphere.

Coldwater Creek was the same if you ordered online before they opened retail stores.

Anytime a vendor charges shipping by the cost of your order, I stay away.

It always seems as though that last penny puts you into the next higher shipping cost.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The highest shipping charge I paid was on eBay and it was $17 BUT the item sold for 99 cents which is crazy low. Others were selling theirs for more than what I paid for shipping.

@SilleeMee   That is what some vendors do to make the sale-sell the item for pennies then overcharge on s/h.  

Guarantee the shipping costs do not even come close to what some of them charge.

I haven't shopped Ebay in years but I though Ebay was monitoring this practice after so many complaints.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG ~ Alaska and Hawaii pay between 4 to 6 times the original qvc s/h fees, and hardly ever have free s/h fees extended to us.  Thank goodness for Amazon!

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Have you seen some of the shipping charges on EBay? I was looking at a purse (under 1pound) and the seller wanted almost $25 to ship it from Florida. I didn't buy the bag. Then in the opposite direction, I ordered a custom made patchwork king sized quilt from Etsy that weighs a lot and they provided free shipping. I'm sure it was built into the price, but still.

I think that ebay sellers charge high shipping as a defense against paying the fee due on the price of the item. It's not really a shipping fee per se. I just add price and shipping together to decide if it's worth it. Well, I do that with everything.

Valued Contributor

Just an FYI, ebay sellers are charged fees on items sold AND on shipping charges. Plus other fees. They changed this a few years back as sellers were selling items super cheap & overinflating shipping charges to avoid paying fees. No escaping that now!! Read feedback to see if sellers are being unscrupulous in their shipping charges or not.
Trusted Contributor

Q charged me shipping for one tube of mascara, then doubled it since I ordered two. Two different large boxes with one tube of mascara in each one. Never again, even though I really liked the mascara.