Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Is The Strangest Thing That You Put In Your Salad?

@FUTURE, I just noticed those beets last time I was there. If I had seen them before I most definitely would have gotten them. I love beets but they are a mess! Thank you for reminding me, I think I will make that salad tomorrow night. Our local Harris Teeter had BOGO on their cheeses and I got 2 huge logs of goat cheese so I do need to use them up. All week I have been eating the cheese just out of the container. lol! It is good that way but I will go tomorrow and get us some beets! Thank you!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@FUTURE, I just noticed those beets last time I was there. If I had seen them before I most definitely would have gotten them. I love beets but they are a mess! Thank you for reminding me, I think I will make that salad tomorrow night. Our local Harris Teeter had BOGO on their cheeses and I got 2 huge logs of goat cheese so I do need to use them up. All week I have been eating the cheese just out of the container. lol! It is good that way but I will go tomorrow and get us some beets! Thank you!

You're welcome!! Enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I made a  salad with black olives ,slivered onion, oranges and lettuce, with an orange juice dressing

I have also made this salad with Italian dressing. It's delish. 

Respected Contributor

I boil my beets with the skin on til tender, put in cool water and rub skins off. easy!

I remember eating heavenly roasted chicken feet at dim sum in the city---(SF)  

Our butcher had big jars of pickled pigs feet. Sometimes we would each get one as a treat after school when shopping with mommy. ---

Love all salads. Must count carbs now so limit the fruits to a taste.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

One of the best salads that I've ever had was a chicken salad at a Middle Eastern or Indian restaurant. I don't remember everything that was in it but it had spicy chilis as one of the ingredients that made my nose run while eating it.

My nose runs when I eat all the time. Doesn't have to be anything spicy or stove-hot either. I take allergy pills, Mucinex, Sudafed...and still it runs. Sigh....

@Moonchilde - same for me...I remember my dad had the same problem, but I don't think as bad as me.  It's like a faucet, just drips...

Honored Contributor

Ran out of the little crunchy topping things, so I put some Fiber One cereal on. It was pretty good!

Honored Contributor

I don't like dressing on my salads except a drizzle of olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon at times.  I really like a cubed baked yam or sweet potato in my salad.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

One of the best salads that I've ever had was a chicken salad at a Middle Eastern or Indian restaurant. I don't remember everything that was in it but it had spicy chilis as one of the ingredients that made my nose run while eating it.

My nose runs when I eat all the time. Doesn't have to be anything spicy or stove-hot either. I take allergy pills, Mucinex, Sudafed...and still it runs. Sigh....

@Moonchilde - same for me...I remember my dad had the same problem, but I don't think as bad as me.  It's like a faucet, just drips...

@AKgirl2@ I do have environmental @ seasonal allergies but am well medicated for that. And it doesn't happen every time, but when it does it's invariably where my sniffs are heard & I have like 1 kleenex.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I think I must be the strange one because I prefer very little with my lettuce. A small amount of tomatoes, maybe some shredded carrots, a couple of small cucumber slices, shredded cheese and ranch dressing. And that's at a salad bar! I do put some other items on my plate but I won't mix them in the salad: olives, fresh fruits. 

If I'm making a chicken salad over lettuce then the chicken part takes the main stage. Taco salad is a little different: taco meat, tortilla pieces, shredded cheese, drizzle some salsa and then ranch dressing. I've made a crab salad where the crab part was also the main stage. 

Honored Contributor

Many years ago,my sister and I ate dinner in JC Penney's.  Yes, , they used to have restaurants in their stores.

i ordered a chef salad. It was huge and there was a ton of meat, cheese, eggs and veggies on top of a big bowl of lettuce.  I ate more than half of it before I discovered that the bottom of the bowl was covered with those twist wires that are usually on bread bags to keep them closed. It wasn't just a couple of them. There were a lot.

My sister got a big laugh, but I felt ill from the thought of all those dirty wires in the bottom of my bowl.  JCP didn't charge us and dinner was free.

Our waitress said the wire tires were stored in a container above the salad fixins.

That was pretty strange, but not by my hand.