Contributor

Karen is Plankton's wife from Spongebob ha ha ha ha ha ha

Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

This is so stupid!  Not asking the question or the responses here. 

I simply don't understand the need for all the slang.   We have language, use the words!

Like you don't use slang?  I am sure you have used slang before like Cool isntead of That's Great.  

To be fair, "Karen" is pretty stupid. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

My name is Karen.When I noticed this trend I told my husband, "It'll pass" and he said, "That's what ****** and Peter thought."

See? I couldn't even write a man's name on this comment without it being censored.

~ house cat ~
New Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Another perfectly good name being turned into the object of criticism. It seems a "Karen" might be somewhat of a bully herself. I was going to guess it might be a cheapskate. We had a lady at work who always made a pan of eight-eight cent brownies for every event. Other people would bring hot dishes or delectable desserts to our work events and Karen brought those hard unfrosted brownies!

Well my favorite thing to bring to a potluck has always been brownies.  Not sure what the ones you refer to are, but mine were always from a box and delicious. Also I hate frosting on brownies and I have to have walnuts.  

I am not a cheapskate but I also am not much of a cook.  Not my thing, wasn't my moms thing.  I did learn my lesson when I went to a potluck and almost every one made dessert.  I love dessert but I like it after dinner, not FOR dinner. LOL  Every since then I make kelbasa and sauerkraut or something like that to make sure I have something meal wise to eat.  

Maybe this woman is like me? You obvously know her so not disagreeing, I just identified with the brownies at a potluck thing.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@haddon9. It does indeed depend on where you look. That's why I asked about a source. It's a legitimate question, not one deserving of ridicule.

@PearleeThat wasn't me Pearley.  I hope you realize that was somone else who made that comment to you.

Respected Contributor

Karen is a cat mom who does ridiculous eye rolling things.  LOL!    Seriously, Karen??

Trusted Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

What about the MALE version?  What's the name for HIM??  (Brett?)

Why are there so many derogatory names for WOMEN?

I think the meme world is leaning towards Chad or Brad but the science hasn't been settled.

Honestly I have to say that whether you say Karen or some other bad word we all know they type we're talking about. I'm not sure there really is a male Karen type. Dudes are less likely to call the manager.

Respected Contributor

The competition is tough, but I'll give the OP "The Most Disingenuous Post in Community Chat Award" this week.

I'll counter with "What Is a Search Engine?" 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

The competition is tough, but I'll give the OP "The Most Disingenuous Post in Community Chat Award" this week.

I'll counter with "What Is a Search Engine?" 

@noodleann Why?  I'm not the OP but I too have wondered why the name "Karen"?  I've known a lot of women with that name and most are really nice...so I did look it up in search and still don't really undrstand it or the origins....why not Diane, Susan, Mary or Jane (all Boomer names like Karen)? 

Honored Contributor

So funny!  QVC used a reference to *Karen* for a FITBIT watch a few months ago!  Was on the *homepage* or whatever page I come onto when I bring up QVC.

Said something like 'Beat Karen to the 10K steps a day' or something like that.  (Don't quote me on that, Karen!).

I knew a TON of Karens growing up in the mid 60's.  In school and later in the working world.  Usually they had so many they had to go by their name and first initial of last name. 'Did Karen M come to school today?' or 'Give Karen K that folder'.

I can't think of a Karen I didn't like.  When I was little, we had a sweet neighbor named Karen and my BFF next door used to prounounce her name 'Caring' and that's how we all started saying it.  Took me a long time to stop pronouncing it that way.