Honored Contributor

@Deree   It depends on where you look.  According to Google, "It became popular in the English-speaking world in the 1940s. The name Karen was one of the top 10 names for girls born in the United States during the 1950s and 1960s, peaking as the third most popular girl's name in 1965."

It's more of a Boomer name than GenX.

Valued Contributor
I think it’s terrible what Amy Cooper did.....It’s also dumb and insulting to women named Karen. My friend is named that and I’ve never seen her roll her eyeballs as much as she has lately, (like “here we go again”) every time it’s mentioned. It’s getting old and worn out already.
Honored Contributor
@haddon9. It does indeed depend on where you look. That's why I asked about a source. It's a legitimate question, not one deserving of ridicule.
Trusted Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

Wow!  I never even heard this before.  Where have i been?!!  When did it start?  Where did it start?  Why did it start? Is it based on a movie character? 

I never heard ot this either!!  Learn something new every day!!!  LOL

Respected Contributor

It just  never ceases to amaze me of the incredibly useful info that you learn here every day. Smiley Happy

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee   I agree!  Plus if one is now in their 60s or 70s we all knew lots of Karens back in school!

Honored Contributor

urbandictionary.com is usually a great place to find slang terms and their meanings.....or multiple meanings. my personal favorite is BYE FELICIA! Smiley LOL

KAREN

gives raisins to kids on Halloween

drives an SUV to carpool her kids to soccer practice... better hope the ref doesn’t make a wrong call because she will sue!

love to use snapagram to post her workout selfies

after a long day of talking to managers and driving her kids around she sits down with her mom friends at book club and drinks lots and LOTS of wine
“oh my god Karen do you really have to talk to the Burger King manager every time they forget to give you a ketchup packet.“

“LOL! Yes!! I have to Facebook and instasnap it to all my friends to make sure everyone knows to watch out LOL!!!”

A KAREN

A Karen is a kind of person who is unhappy when little things don’t go their way. They are a, “Can I speak to your manager?” kind of gal. The beotchy soccer mom of her friend group that nobody likes.

“Do you see her over there? She’s such a Karen.”

“Hi! You put meat on my son’s turkey sandwich, when he is STRICTLY VEGETARIAN. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll direct your manager over to me right away.”

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

My name is Karen, born in 1943 of Norwegeon descent so I guess I am passed middle age.  I also like cats, and for a while on facebook you'd see pictures of cats complaining to Karen for silly costumes etc.  So I thought a "Karen" was a crazy old cat lady.  Only recently has it seemed to morf into something more derrogetory.  So far I take it as humor.  I've always liked my name.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

urbandictionary.com is usually a great place to find slang terms and their meanings.....or multiple meanings. my personal favorite is BYE FELICIA! Smiley LOL

KAREN

gives raisins to kids on Halloween

drives an SUV to carpool her kids to soccer practice... better hope the ref doesn’t make a wrong call because she will sue!

love to use snapagram to post her workout selfies

after a long day of talking to managers and driving her kids around she sits down with her mom friends at book club and drinks lots and LOTS of wine
“oh my god Karen do you really have to talk to the Burger King manager every time they forget to give you a ketchup packet.“

“LOL! Yes!! I have to Facebook and instasnap it to all my friends to make sure everyone knows to watch out LOL!!!”

A KAREN

A Karen is a kind of person who is unhappy when little things don’t go their way. They are a, “Can I speak to your manager?” kind of gal. The beotchy soccer mom of her friend group that nobody likes.

“Do you see her over there? She’s such a Karen.”

“Hi! You put meat on my son’s turkey sandwich, when he is STRICTLY VEGETARIAN. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll direct your manager over to me right away.”

LOL! Around here we used to call them "the (insert elementary school name) moms." You know - the ones who get hair and makeup done to walk their kids to the bus stop, the ones who drive out of their driveways already talking on their cell phones and arranging the next play date for their kids, the ones who pop into school wearing a tennis outfit and holding their racket, etc. And then there's me - the one who doesn't even comb her hair and puts sunglasses on to hide the fact I'm not wearing makeup to walk kids to the bus stop - oh wait, there's the bus; thank goodness they ran ahead; the one who drives down the driveway realizing her phone is charging on the kitchen table and I have to get to work on time; the one who avoids "popping" into school because then I'd have to put makeup on and it's my day off, etc. 

Seriously - at least we didn't NAME them. And after all, we all had kids there, so we were all "the *** moms." But some of us were a little more "relaxed" than others. And when others used those words in a sentence, we knew exactly who they were talking about! Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

This is so stupid!  Not asking the question or the responses here. 

I simply don't understand the need for all the slang.   We have language, use the words!