Frequent Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

Glad it isn't uncomfortable that your name has been confiscated.  I always have felt bad for my brother-in-law who has always used the nickname ****** for his name of Richard.  Oh the jokes he probably has had to suffer through, through the years.

Oh my, I just looked at my post and his name has been ****'d out by OVC.  That is horrible his name has become a swear word...oh dear!

"I am Karen, and it does NOT bother me in the least!  I enjoy fb friends who tag me over and over in diff "Karen" memes!  It has always been my name, and this has brought attention to my name!  This will pass in a NY minute!!"

Janet in Georgia
Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Rather unfortunate for ladies who were given the lovely name of Karen by their parents.  There's a poodle down the street who answers to the name Karen.  She seems peppy and friendly.

But is she a bi*ch?  Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

I have met women of all colors that fit the description, not just white. 

And not just named Karen. Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@GeorgiaJanet wrote:

Glad it isn't uncomfortable that your name has been confiscated.  I always have felt bad for my brother-in-law who has always used the nickname ****** for his name of Richard.  Oh the jokes he probably has had to suffer through, through the years.

Oh my, I just looked at my post and his name has been ****'d out by OVC.  That is horrible his name has become a swear word...oh dear!

"I am Karen, and it does NOT bother me in the least!  I enjoy fb friends who tag me over and over in diff "Karen" memes!  It has always been my name, and this has brought attention to my name!  This will pass in a NY minute!!"  

My brother and I were just talking about a guy I know named "******" and he said, "Who would name their kid "******"?  Same for the name "Peter", though I have heard that its connations go back a couple of thousand years!

I think it's obvious that the nickname for Richard did not have the connations back in the 1950s that it does today.  I heard that in the old days (pre-internet) that these things got started through the military.  

Respected Contributor

I think some of you are taking this a little too seriously. Of course it doesn’t describe every woman named Karen ... it’s just a meme!

Honored Contributor

Those of us in retail are very familar with Karens, sigh...........

Karen Starter Pack.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

What about the MALE version?  What's the name for HIM??  (Brett?)

Why are there so many derogatory names for WOMEN?

Honored Contributor

I believe this started on Reddit when an ex-husband posted a rant against his ex-wife named Karen.  It was a "2 word slang Karen) that was posted.

The two words are not Happy Birthday if you get my drift.

The phrase took off from there. It's the way "bye Felicia" took off.

While it is true "Karen" can apply to any woman, it is generally used to depict a "stereotypical" brash middle age entitled white female".

The meme with the blonde and the cat are not necessarily about Karen.

The meme itself can be made with any type of dialogue - I believe there is an app for it.  It doesn't have to have Karen in it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I'm really concerned about Felicia now!  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I've never in my life heard of that. Hmmm...

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.