Esteemed Contributor

Usually I get slang. I even know the term Karen isn't even new. But I don't really know what people mean when they use it. I think a tattletale but there has to be more to it than that.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew   Googled it - I didn't know either.  "Karen is a mocking slang term for an entitled, obnoxious, middle-aged white woman."

Trusted Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

I edited my post to remove link.  Everyone answered perfectly

Honored Contributor

According to dictionary dot com:   

"Karen is a mocking slang term for an entitled, irritable middle-aged white woman."

Wikipedia says:  

"Karen is a pejorative slang term that is used to typify a person perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary."  

Honored Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew I've been wondering lately too about this.  I have a close friend named Karen and I feel sorry for anyone who has the name (like Debbie "Downer" too).

Why all of a sudden the use of Karen as the stereotyped name for an obnoxious middle aged white woman who has three children at home, is entitled and asks to speak to the manager (BTW, most Karens are Boomers and no longer have kids at home) ...at least that's the portrait that I have gotten from reading various sites online about it. 

There's even an article in the NY Times on "Karen"!

Trusted Contributor

Isn't Karen a women's name?

In Europe, in short we call her also Carie.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

Another perfectly good name being turned into the object of criticism. It seems a "Karen" might be somewhat of a bully herself. I was going to guess it might be a cheapskate. We had a lady at work who always made a pan of eight-eight cent brownies for every event. Other people would bring hot dishes or delectable desserts to our work events and Karen brought those hard unfrosted brownies!

Honored Contributor
@Dinaki Yes it is a woman's name but is also used in slang as posted above by other posters.
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't use a perfectly nice name like Karen to describe this type of woman.

The couple I've had the misfortune to encounter I just referred to as bi*ch.  lol

Respected Contributor

Wow!  I never even heard this before.  Where have i been?!!  When did it start?  Where did it start?  Why did it start? Is it based on a movie character?