Honored Contributor

Re: What Interests Do You Have That Your Friends Just Don't Share?

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Sometimes I feel like my brain is turning to mush.  I adore my friends (they are amazing).  However, I can't talk to them about some current affairs, the environment, just things that really interest me because they just don't enjoy talking about them.

My daughter just got back from an Alaska cruise.  We sat on the phone and talked for an hour about how the environment has affected Alaska, about the Rainforest's and so on.  She's extremely knowledgeable and up on all current affairs.  I so enjoy talking to her.

I keep saying I must join a group of people whom I can talk with at least once a week or every two weeks just to exercise my brain.

It's not like I'm a brainy person, but I just find everything interesting and enjoy discussing everything.

My BFF and I don't live close, but a few times a week we talk current events on the phone, plus we email whenever we are really excited or appalled about something. She is my only friend that will talk politics, and we are like minded, so there is no bloodshed. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Yes, I think that is common. I love dishes and tablewear too (just got Mottahedah tobacco leaf) and I love beauty products. I have friends that are into that sort of stuff too and some who have no interests whatsoever in it.

I am really into silver. I have about 3 or 4 tea sets and all kinds of serving pieces. I don't have too many friends who have the same obsession.

@Irshgrl31201  We need to talk!  LOL!!!!!  Silver!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

My friend I eat with almost every day and my other close friends are like-wise with me about politics but the discussions only stay on one level.

I have (what I think) is more of an open mind about a lot of things.  I might not agree with others but I'm interested in their point of view.  I get that with my daughter because her politics (and my entire family) is the total opposite of mine.

I think that you are never too old to learn things and only by talking to others do you enrich your brain.  Life is boring if you only listen to people who agree with you, just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I love dishes and tableware and don't have any friends or family members who share this interest (obsession?  LOL!!) with me.   So I just was wondering do you have things you love to collect or things you like to do that your friends can't excited about?  You've found bouillon spoons and nobody cares? 

Do you get the same eyerolls sometimes?  LOL!!!  

See, but I hear golf stories that I simply have NO idea what they are talking about!  LOL!!!  I am amazingly good at seeming interested in all those fuzzy details about eagles and birdies and such!  

I'm with you @Sooner !  I love putting on dinners, especially theme dinners, and using different dishes and servingware. We've been married a long time and I get a lot as gifts.  

I also like politics and have a very close friend who shares that interest.  Not a lot of people are interested in science but my family is.  I was a science major in HS through grad school.

@Noel7  I avoid politics, but am planning a Colonial style candelight dinner for this fall during the first chilly dark days!!!!  

Trusted Contributor

I love to decorate my house in 50's and 60's retro.  I rarely buy anything new.  I scour junk stores, Etsy and eBay for everything.  I don't know anyone else who does that.

Honored Contributor

This is a really good subject because I am learning about interests people have about.  Some of us have known one another for a long time, and it is fun to see what people do outside the "shopping" talk we do a lot! 

THANKS!!!  

Respected Contributor

Fashion, jewelry.  I have a friend who seldom watches tv and dislikes movies - I'm a big fan of both, but we get along great.  We have politics and pets in common.

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

I love to decorate my house in 50's and 60's retro.  I rarely buy anything new.  I scour junk stores, Etsy and eBay for everything.  I don't know anyone else who does that.

@luv-the-Q

I've tried to do my kitchen in a vintage 40s look.  White curtains, embroidered bottom, red cherries.  Not easy to do since I have a lot of modern cooking gear and appliances 😏

Honored Contributor

Most of my friends, as well as my two sisters, just don't care much about fashion, beauty, jewelry, or accessories.  I come to this board to find those with similar interests!  

I do have one friend who loves all of this, but she's 22 years older than me so our tastes are different.  I admire the way she dresses and coordinates her "look"whenever I see her, but that look is right for her, not me. 

Honored Contributor

I'm interested in home decor.  My family and friends don't share that interest.  It's not that they don't like or have home decor, but they have no interest in looking at it.