Trusted Contributor

Re: What Interests Do You Have That Your Friends Just Don't Share?

@Sooner wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

No one appreciates my love of Horse Racing.

I DO!  I DO!  I wanted to be the first woman jockey in the 1960s!  No chance of that!!!  

Woohoo Sooner! I would have been routing for you.I'm hoping to run up to Saratoga this weekend but I don't think I'm going to have time.

Honored Contributor

I enjoy genealogy, coloring, and trolling the internet.  

All my close friends have grandchildren and enjoy being grandma, which I don't connect with at all.   They enjoy traveling, which I also don't connect with at all.    

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Word games and puzzles, cooking, reading historical/poliical biographies, watching tennis, and NASCAR.

@deepwaterdotter

My husband introduced me to foreign sports cars before we married, then Formula 1 racing.  Then along came my stepmother whose first husband was a Formula 1 race car driver: she had led a life of a world traveler, high end style, with him, and the bug really bit.  I also learned to re-build British 4-banger engines with my husband.  Then in the early 90s, started watching NASCAR and became interested in the physics of racing and what the various components of a race car actually did to either make or break a team's efforts: some really dumb stuff like spending 68 cents on a washer instead of 2 bucks to save money - the washer breacks - the engine fails - and that car is good for scrap.

Anyway, at the beginning of this season with the commencement of "staged racing," that was it.  I'm gone.  This isn't racing any longer.  All winners are artificial due to the stages.  A true race begins with the set field, which works through pit stops, yellows, reds and greens and ultimately that white flag.  The staged racing has totally and irreparably damaged racing forever.  Look at all of the empty stands this season.  They speak volumes.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I love to read, write, crochet, sew, draw and color.  Some of my friend share these hobbies, but none of them enjoy homemaking.  I love to cook and bake and I even enjoy laundry, ironing and cleaning. None of my friends are interested in cooking, baking or decorating and none of them clean their own homes. A couple even boast that they don't own irons.I'm often referred to as Suzy Homemaker or Martha Stewart. I used to find that insulting, but I've learned to accept it as a compliment... most of the time, lol.

@house_cat

Wish I could have a friend like you near me, as the words in red describe some of my "likes," but I'd throw in needlepoint and knitting as well.

Just learned this morning of a new crochet/knitting project I'm going to get involved in.  It's Kettering Medical Ctr in Kettering, OH.  They're in dire need of bereavement blankets and caps, especiall extra small, 12x12, and large, 30x30. I'm going to go through my stash to see if I've acrylic yarn in colors appropriate for stillborns.  Other sizes: Small at 18x18 and Medium at 25x25.  This is such a wonderful thing for anyone who crochets or knits to do.  I have the address, if anyone is interested.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy cooking, baking, collecting cookbooks, and collecting all types of kitchenware.  My friends like to eat what I make, but they have no interest in making anything.  I also like to read mysteries and work out; again, things that they do not seem to have an interest in, except for my friend who likes zumba.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@sfnative

We have relatives in Kettering, but I hadn't heard they had a special need. My dearest friend makes bereavement blankets and caps - it's so heartbreaking to see those tiny things. Bless you for doing it. 👼

I crochet for Project Linus (here's some info for anyone interested).  My school has a club and the kids create blankets all year long for them. I've made several.  It's a good way to use up excess yarn for a worthy cause.

~ house cat ~