Honored Contributor

Re: What Interests Do You Have That Your Friends Just Don't Share?

English and American lit, animals, perfume, vintage films, history, geography, almost anything mid-century modern, old glass, theology, politics, decorating, vegetarian cuisine, old jewelry.

I have a few friends that like some of the above categories-- they don't overlap much.

Honored Contributor

I like home decor too, and like to change it up several times a year.  Most people I know do this for Christmas, but that's it.  I think their homes look great for 1 month, but rather plain for the other 11.  

Respected Contributor

OPERA!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I love dishes and tableware and don't have any friends or family members who share this interest (obsession?  LOL!!) with me.   So I just was wondering do you have things you love to collect or things you like to do that your friends can't excited about?  You've found bouillon spoons and nobody cares? 

Do you get the same eyerolls sometimes?  LOL!!!  

See, but I hear golf stories that I simply have NO idea what they are talking about!  LOL!!!  I am amazingly good at seeming interested in all those fuzzy details about eagles and birdies and such!  

I'm with you @Sooner !  I love putting on dinners, especially theme dinners, and using different dishes and servingware. We've been married a long time and I get a lot as gifts.  

I also like politics and have a very close friend who shares that interest.  Not a lot of people are interested in science but my family is.  I was a science major in HS through grad school.

@Noel7  I avoid politics, but am planning a Colonial style candelight dinner for this fall during the first chilly dark days!!!!  

@Sooner

That sounds wonderful!  Do you have a menu picked out?  How would you do your tablescape?

@Noel7  @Irshgrl31201  Well, maybe a chicken and rice dish or a pot pie?  Spoon bread is often served at Williamsburg's restaurants. Green beans or carrots on the side.   I'd think an old style trifle or pudding or cake for dessert--maybe a pie or cobbler?  Of course seafood would be good too.  I'll drag out a Williamsburg cookbook for sure.  I know they serve salads at their eating places so I'll have to research that.

Tablescape will be very simple!  Candles and a bowl of fruit.  I want something easy to serve and that I can cook in the oven.  You could even do a big bowl of Brunswick stew or something like that.  A bowl of punch and some cheese straws would be a good start to the evening. 

Now you have me thinking!  Maybe make copies of old maps for placemats and pass out interesting quotes from people in the day for people to read before they get their desserts.  That would be fun.  Or I would make up a little paragraph biography of famous colonists and pass them out to people and say "Ok, you're George Washington tonight" and have them read that as we sit down. . . Hmmmmm.

That sounds great. I was wondering if you were going to go with that colonial type of food as well. That is a great idea and I think so fun. I think everything you mentioned for the menu and tablescape sounds great. 

About 15 or so years ago my sister who is obsessed with colonial Williamsburg decided to have a colonial Christmas. Her tree, menu, tablescape, all the decorations in her house were in line with that. The simplicity was gorgeous. I loved it, it was til this day one of my favorite memories. Let me see if have the pictures of it on my computer. I am not sure if I do, but let me check.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

@Noel7

I would love to have a pink retro fridge.  My kitchen is pink, turquoise and gray.  I did find a vintage formica and chrome table and I had chairs custom made by American Chairs.  It looks great in my kitchen.  It took me 35 years to find the right table. 😁

Here is the table.

IMG_3878.JPG

Honored Contributor

Birding, gardening, reading, documenting our hummingbirds during the migrations, watching mainly BBC shows, documentaries...almost everything...LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Went on a road trip to a quilting museum with friends. Yawn. But they're talented and love it. This question reminded me how different good friends can be. Differences in musical talent, education levels, physical activity and following sports teams. Some love baking while others prefer to visit a bakery. Coffee drinkers and tea drinkers. Pet lovers and no pets. Book clubs and those who say, yawn, no way. Married and single. What we have in common is love of family, travel, faith, laughter and just socializing.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Just about everything.   Lots of eyes glazing over when I bring up something I've read / learned / working on ....

Genealogy (obviously they wouldn't be interested in my family)

Knitting/Crochet 

Philosophy/theology and related areas of study.

Ancient and medieval history

Archaeology

Latin and German languages

-----------------------

So - I've found online communities of people with the same interests, webinairs, etc.  It's great, I have cyber "friends" all over the world, and contact with people who are experts in the above areas.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

You have really good ideas, I particularly like the maps as placemats.

i bought a few inexpensive things online that are prim decor.  There is a way to make your candles look really old.  Also anything with the look of pewter.

This will be so much fun for you!

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Just about everything.   Lots of eyes glazing over when I bring up something I've read / learned / working on ....

Genealogy (obviously they wouldn't be interested in my family)

Knitting/Crochet 

Philosophy/theology and related areas of study.

Ancient and medieval history

Archaeology

Latin and German languages

-----------------------

So - I've found online communities of people with the same interests, webinairs, etc.  It's great, I have cyber "friends" all over the world, and contact with people who are experts in the above areas.

No eyes glazing over here @ALRATIBA. I am into many of the same things. I find space/satellite archaeology to be especiallly interesting and exciting. Things that have never been seen in the world of archaeology are now being seen because it can see minor disturbances in the earth that were made thousands and thousands years ago. I cannot tell you how excited over this I am. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK