Respected Contributor

Re: What IS it with all the ugly, scary television shows?

While I'm not a big fan of gore, some people are and I'm okay with that. Not everyone has to like the same things I do.

There are plenty of other things for me to watch. What others do is really none of my concern.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Sushismom said:

While I'm not a big fan of gore, some people are and I'm okay with that. Not everyone has to like the same things I do.

There are plenty of other things for me to watch. What others do is really none of my concern.

{#emotions_dlg.mellow}

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

When i was a teen in the 60's in Pittsburgh they used to have Chiller Theatre on TV on saturday nights - with Chilly Billy Cardille. my gang would all hang out at someones house and watch Chiller Theatre for free instead of paying to go to a movie or a drive in. We would make fun of the lame costumes and effects. seems to be something kids enjoy - spook or monstor movies.
Respected Contributor

What gets to me are movies based on historical fact or are depictions of what actually happened...like 12 Years A Slave, Schindler' s List, and others.

Because I know theses things actually occurred, it torments me that people did these things, and people suffered so horribly. I really cannot watch those movies. I do read in the literature historical accounts, and as part of my undergrad studies, I studied literature on the Holocaust.

But I can't watch it enacted. I can't take it.

Movies in the sci fi or horror category, or shows like The Walking Dead, don't get me that way because they are fiction.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 happy housewife said: When i was a teen in the 60's in Pittsburgh they used to have Chiller Theatre on TV on saturday nights - with Chilly Billy Cardille. my gang would all hang out at someones house and watch Chiller Theatre for free instead of paying to go to a movie or a drive in. We would make fun of the lame costumes and effects. seems to be something kids enjoy - spook or monstor movies.

I loved Chilly Billy and watched with my friends too.

Our favorite was Vincent Price and ""House on Haunted Hill.""

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

We've been Walking Dead fans since the start. Great story line and acting. We also love Game of Thrones, Sons of anarchy and Justified. We really liked Jericho which didn't last more than a few seasons and is similar to WD except it was a nuclear apocalypse of the USA. In bad times having some extra supplies come in handy, money is of no use.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Townsend said:
On 3/1/2014 SydneyH said:
On 3/1/2014 Rainbows and Roses said:
On 3/1/2014 croemer said:

I have been watching Who the bleep did I marry for hours today...YIKES.

I have seen that show and also Wives with Knives. ugh

I'm watching Scorned, Facing Evil and Homicide Hunter. Love ID!

Me too......watch some of it almost every day. In fact, Blood Lies & Alibis is on right now. I love the ugly & scary TV shows! Don't forget Bates Motel coming up!

Another ID lover here!! Love Homicide Hunter!! Watch ID every day!!

Valued Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

What gets to me are movies based on historical fact or are depictions of what actually happened...like 12 Years A Slave, Schindler' s List, and others.

Because I know theses things actually occurred, it torments me that people did these things, and people suffered so horribly. I really cannot watch those movies. I do read in the literature historical accounts, and as part of my undergrad studies, I studied literature on the Holocaust.

Movies in the sci fi or horror category, or shows like The Walking Dead, don't get me that way because they are fiction.

I completely agree---I took a "slave literature" class in college--thankfully my professor is an African American woman and a friend---it was heartbreaking
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 sylviahomeatlast said:

I completely agree---I took a "slave literature" class in college--thankfully my professor is an African American woman and a friend---it was heartbreaking

Yes, it is haunting and then it follows me for a long time afterwards. Thanks, Sylvia, for understanding!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

On 3/2/2014 sylviahomeatlast said:

Yes, it is haunting and then it follows me for a long time .afterwards. Thanks, Sylvia, for understanding!

it was actually literature written by American slaves or freed slaves ---for example Frederick Douglas and others---so sad