Honored Contributor

Re: What IS it with all the ugly, scary television shows?

On 3/2/2014 EmmaBunting said:
On 3/2/2014 biancardi said:
On 3/2/2014 kdgn said:
On 3/2/2014 brii said: Ooh, a line has been crossed now, Esme.

I'm not kidding. I really think that was uncalled for. Esme....please apologize for that.

I agree. Here I was getting ready to say that Esme had handled the turn of the thread fairly well and then she dumped that post.

Esme, while I thought the original topic was a good one and I'm sorry it went downhill, that post of yours needs to be apologized for.

eta: Thank you Esme.

that wasn't an apology. She basically blamed ME for her behavior. LOL

I didn't start the personal digs. Anyone reading this thread can see that.

sorry, but she doesn't need to apologize because she doesn't KNOW how to give one.

She gave one, biancardi. I'm sure it wasn't easy....but she did the best she could. Now I truly hope you will do the best you can and at least make an attempt to accept it.

It must get so tiring carrying around all these hurts that people have done to you. Try to let this one go, at least. She apologized. Your refusal to accept it is keeping you stuck in cement.

For your own good......please try to forgive people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

I am quoting my own post......as it seems to be the ONLY post on here that has been "edited". Why do you suppose that would be?

I don't know.

It looks like my offending post has been removed too. Thanks, webbie. Really...thanks. Smile

ETA...Oh, I know why your post was edited...it was too brilliant!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

On 3/2/2014 esmerelda said:

I am quoting my own post......as it seems to be the ONLY post on here that has been "edited". Why do you suppose that would be?

I don't know.

It looks like my offending post has been removed too. Thanks, webbie. Really...thanks. Smile

ETA...Oh, I know why your post was edited...it was too brilliant!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

ahhhh.......NOW I see why the two of us get confused! lol

Respected Contributor

I know what you mean about graphic and ugly. I'm not putting scary as in Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond, Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock, or any of those anthology shows in the same category,either, and not just because I liked them.

All one has to do today is take note of the promos for today's shows to see the graphic violence portrayed, frequently towards women--women in danger, women bound and gagged, pictures of dead women, etc. The fact that these clips are used as ads for the shows makes me wonder what type of people they're appealing to{#emotions_dlg.confused1}. Reminds me a lot of those "Detective" mags that used to be seen on yesterday's drugstore counters. Just last night I was flipping around and saw a kitten being put in the microwave. Believe me, I neither know nor care about the context of that show or movie, and got off that channel as fast as I could.

The graphic depiction of violence towards people and animals is not entertainment to me.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Another love fest I see.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

About programs that cause anxiety, I think it's not a bad idea to avoid watching the news every now and then. A break from it and a fresh focus on one's own situation can reset the priorities in life -- although I can't avoid news for long.

Esteemed Contributor

Color me old fashioned by if I watch TV at all I watch reruns of shows that are mild without horror, blood, bad language, compromising situations.... Not sure what is the draw to the current shows. Somehow it seems to me that watching gives license to doing it. Bad manners, bad behavior and worse are escalating out there in the real world. Is it art imitating nature or nature imitating art.

Respected Contributor

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm assuming from a quick glance that gore is acceptable here at VP.

Back to the topic. The world is a scary place and when populations feel threatened, these kinds of films become popular. I think these shows/movies offer a catharsis for audiences. Where else can one "face" the possibilities of real terror in the safety of one's own living room or movie theater and feel they have survived what's out there?

What's more gory than watching the news these days?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Free2be said:

About programs that cause anxiety, I think it's not a bad idea to avoid watching the news every now and then. A break from it and a fresh focus on one's own situation can reset the priorities in life -- although I can't avoid news for long.

Regardless of how upsetting the subject matter of a particular news story is, the news doesn't have entertainment as its purpose. There are plenty of TV shows depicting graphic violence, and their purpose is to entertain. That's the difference.

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Moonlady said:

I know what you mean about graphic and ugly. I'm not putting scary as in Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond, Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock, or any of those anthology shows in the same category,either, and not just because I liked them.

All one has to do today is take note of the promos for today's shows to see the graphic violence portrayed, frequently towards women--women in danger, women bound and gagged, pictures of dead women, etc. The fact that these clips are used as ads for the shows makes me wonder what type of people they're appealing to{#emotions_dlg.confused1}. Reminds me a lot of those "Detective" mags that used to be seen on yesterday's drugstore counters. Just last night I was flipping around and saw a kitten being put in the microwave. Believe me, I neither know nor care about the context of that show or movie, and got off that channel as fast as I could.

The graphic depiction of violence towards people and animals is not entertainment to me.

Yes, we saw that too, along with one other scene involving an animal which I will not go into. The only reason we continued to watch was that it was based on a true story and wanted to see the end when he was caught. He ended up getting life with the possibility of parole in 125 years. He deserved it IMO.