Honored Contributor

Re: What Halloween costume did you dislike as a kid

One year I directed and starred in a play at my school. It was about garbage collecting robots run amok. It was all my idea and the teachers and staff had nothing to do with it except allowing me to put it on. I cast it, made all the costumes, everything. (I'd also done a big Thanksgiving extravaganza the year before called Granny and the Indians. I was Granny of course, in a construction paper bonnet.)

So that year for Halloween I wore my robot costume, which was a big painted grey moving box with a jaunty belt painted around the middle. I did not wear the garbage bag part of the costume, not that it would have made any difference. No one who saw me knew what I was supposed to be.

Another year later on, I decided I wanted to be a playing card. So I made a sandwich board style costume and painted it as the Ace of Hearts, I believe it was. Well it looked really cool. But for trick or treating it banged against my legs the whole time. I had to take very short steps.

Then when my friends and I ran into some kids who tried to steal our candy, we ran away from them. Well, my knees banged against the boards like crazy, so I grabbed the sides and pulled the front board up out of the way. And then I couldn't see where I was going. Thankfully the bad kids didn't chase us very far. But that was when I really disliked and regretted my costume.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

As a child I didn't like Halloween.  I refused to dress up after the 4th grade.  Our mom wouldn't let us go Trick or Treating so it wasn't an issue.  My son loves Halloween!  Loves it!  Even at 19 I love seeing his joy for the day.  Depending on what he wanted to be we would buy a costume or I would make what he wanted.  He told me once if he got presents on Halloween like he did for his birthday it would be the best day of his life.   

Honored Contributor

I just didn’t like wearing a mask...too hot and hard to see behind them. It was usually very warm on Halloween when I was a kid...I didn’t enjoy it much since I was forced to stay with my two big brothers...who were supposed to look out for me....but once they saw friends and got candy, I was usually going solo.

Honored Contributor

I was the youngest of three kids. We didn't have a lot of money, so costumes were kept and recycled. I had to choose from the same tired costumes, not fun.

Honored Contributor

My brothers and I never had store bought costumes, just masks.   In WV, we rarely had a Halloween that wasn't cold, wet, even snowy.   

Honored Contributor

Same angel one every year.  My mom made it out of a light pink sheet.  A golden halo on my head, which she made.

I liked it, though, and wouldn't want any other (at that time).

Very comfortable, too.  No sticky, plastic-y feeling.  Nice and soft. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Usually just a mask. One year I decided to be a gypsy. I put on all the jewelry I could, made up my face and loved it. I was a gypsy every year after that.

Respected Contributor

Disliked Halloween. 

Did not dress up. Wore my older brother's flannel shirt and jeans and sneakers for running.

Grew up in NYC so there were plenty of doorbells to ring and to mark with chalk.

Honored Contributor

We never had store bought costumes---we came up with something from the stuff we had around the house--maybe used make up on our faces ----then grabbed a pillowcase and left to wander for blocks and blocks until the cases were filled to the top!!!

Honored Contributor

I honestly do not recall my costumes.  LOL

I do remember the Halloween make-up kits and gad-awful plastic masks.

I think I did go one year as Raggedy Ann so I'm sure I had one of those masks.

My son only had one box costume when he was little; the rest were homemade.

Fun thread! Cat Happy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh