Respected Contributor

Re: What Habits/Chores/Items of Yore still serve u Well?

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@JoyFilled Warrior wrote:

Hmm  

My Wartime, late Mom taught me my Shopping List was circling items on the Weekly Grocery Sale pamphlet, & those items were almost exclusively purchased & became the Meal planning for the week.

I wash my house/car windows using Windex & crumpled up Black/White News Papers for spotless, lint free, sparkling windows.

I extensively research items for purchase for longevity & price, and take care, & hang on to them for nearly life.  I still have my original upright Vacuum, my original 1st new car, Original Pyrex Measuring Bowls (Made in USA, bef China made), original tape/CD player, (2) 6ft + 9ft Cat Condos/Trees, 5 generations Family RollTop Desk, this for starters

How bout you?.

@JoyFilled Warrior 

In the last part of your ending paragraph your mentioned "stuff" you still have. I will go just with that scenario. The other things you mention, too much deep thinking for me!

My oldest possession, I actually bought with my own money,when I was 12 years old. A real leather motorcycle jacket, zipper pockets and all.

hckynut 🇺🇸

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi @hckynutjohn   Woman Happy

Oh wow!  That has ALL the attributes of this topic!  Amazing.  12 yo job, that young & yr own money, Motoccycle Jacket, WITH zippered pockets!  (you had great taste at 12 yo  heh)

I think I'd post that jacket in one of my rooms!  And just smile each time I glanced at it, for more than just a plain ole jacket.  It means MUCH MUCH more!!  That seems to have set the path of your whole life, wrapped up in one jacket, saved money, job at 12 yo, beloved item frugality since & a life well lived with selected values that served you well.  And still, much more life to go!!

BTW, HAPPY FATHER's DAY to the Dad of all those beloved, happy cats!  & kitties!! & formers!!

(Pls note: My nick is in progress: - formerly  ~ MakeUp Maidn, briefly, 411 13 I 5 (-> All His), Seeking New Nickname, now testing:  JoyFilled Warrior

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I keep an empty kleenex box in the front passenger floor board for trash.

All of my solid navy clothes get a brass safety pin on the tag so they aren't mistaken for black.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I love to poke around at Garage Sales and especially Estate Sales for vintage Pyrex or Corningware.  And unique drinking glasses or dishes.  I have way too many, but I love that these items are most all made in the USA.  

I recently picked up a piece of Corningware in a new to me pattern, Floral Bouquet.  Of course I had to buy it!🤣

My best friends Mother downsized a couple of years ago and she gifted me her set of vintage Pyrex mixing bowls.❤️. I just love to use them.  

I also have a Savory Jr. Roasting pan.  Payed a whooping 75 cents for it!  Love to use it for small roasts.  

@4kitties 

Are you aware of the Renaissance pyrex set?  I never saw it in stores, but I wasn't out much other than work.  I got one and love it.  Perfect with my antiques.

Rare Renaissance Corning Ware 2 1/2 Quart 2.5 Qt Casserole Dish Handles (NO LID) - Picture 1 of 18

Respected Contributor

Hi @ECBG   Woman Happy

You have that same Betty Crockers Girls & Boy's Cookbook too??

This is uncanny!! 

I just thumbed thru mine.  I think I made everything in this Cookbook.  And it was the only Cookbook I never flubbed up any recipe!  Incredible cookbook!  Woman Happy

(Pls note: My nick is in progress: - formerly  ~ MakeUp Maidn, briefly, 411 13 I 5 (-> All His), Seeking New Nickname, now testing:  JoyFilled Warrior

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I keep an empty kleenex box in the front passenger floor board for trash.

All of my solid navy clothes get a black safety pin on the tag so they aren't mistaken for black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@ECBG  

Oh wow.  I'm color blind (shades)  I just dont order Navy what so ever, cause I cant differentiate from Black..  Decided on Black only.  GREAT idea about the Safety Pin! 

When I take off socks of any kind (not nylons), i pin them together, weaved a couple of times thru, and wash them as a connected pair! So I never end up with one loose sock!

LOVE your idea abt the empty Kleenex box on Front Passenger Floor Board, & PIN ID'ing Navy!!  There's other colors I can differentiate, but possess.  I'll use the pins on those, instead of perm markers on the labels, or back waist band, (which doesnt always work)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family taught me:

to be kind and considerate of others,

to work hard for what I want; no one owes me anything,

to listen more and talk less,

to mind my own business,

to be frugal and satisfied with just enough; being cheap is acceptable,

to appreciate homemade,

to keep up with and take care of my things,

to be independent,

to think and plan ahead,

to go to bed every night feeling I did the best I could,

to pray; believe in Him, and walk my faith.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @RedTop   Woman Happy

Wow!  Kewl parents!

And I've read enough of your Posts here to see you exhibit what you learned!!  

Great Parents.  and each time you exhibit that list above, you honor them, and Him!!     Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother and father, both 2nd generation Americans.... well, I know this sounds bad from an economy viewpoint, but they taught us (esp. me, as the oldest girl in the family and occasional deputy shopper), NEVER to buy the special sales without going home for feedback. . .and instructed me in what they called the "safe" cuts and safe range of meats.

My mother did this after I came home one day (around age 9 or ten) with a "sale" version of hamburger. She didn't scold but took me down to the A&P and showed me what kinds of meats the family should buy. She even apologized for her own instructions, which had been to buy at the lower prices.  She cooked up something for the many pets in the family who were carnivores, and all seemed to enjoy it. 

I remember the price: .33 cents a pound.  She informed me of what the average prices were for these meat items, and gave me a minimum price that would be OK. Her immigrant dad was a grocer, and he had taught her well. Then she taught me the price range; that's how families work.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JoyFilled Warrior   Like you, my weekly meals ar based on the

weekly sale items at our supermarket.

I still have my original set of Pyrex turquoise Butterprint pattern on white

mixing bowls, Blue Cornflower Corningware pieces, Pyrex

bakeware and General Electric handmixer from 1963. I use them all.

When Iwas ten years old, my aunt gave me the same Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls. I still have it and use a few of the recipes. My and my family's favorite is the Apple Crisp recipe on page 171. The topping is so much nicer than recipes with the oatmeal topping. This one is like buttery sugar cookies.

Your rolltop desk is a beautiful treasure to have. Things from the past are so special.

Respected Contributor

@On It   You are right about how well old appliances were made to last, unlike the offerings today.

I still have my yellow and gray General Electric hand mixer

from 1963. It works great, in fact, I just used it this morning.

It cost just $10.00 back then.

I do have a  Kitchen Aid stand mixer for large recipes.