Honored Contributor

Re: What Fabric Softener Do You Use?

I need to think about dryer balls.

Lots of y'all mention those.

I find my heavy, thick sweatshirts don't dry completely

and I think that might help, yes?

Valued Contributor

I don't use fabric softener. Most of the new fabrics warn not to use it. I put white vinegar in the dispenser. Clothes come out smelling fresh and clean with no vinegar smell.

Trusted Contributor

I always use Downy and I haven't had any problems. I would email them and tell them what's going on.

Honored Contributor

We use pods and everything is in them. We don't add anything else ,unless we have a stain problem

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Sooner I use dryer balls from tracer Joe’s...best price I’ve found and they work well.if you have l8nty clothing put a micro fiber cloth in too and it will grab the lint.

@dex  THANKS for that tip.  Sometimes a tissue hides in a pocket and spreads lint on everything.  Those tissues are sneaky that way!  Money too, but it doesn't make a mess!  LOL!!

Frequent Contributor

Suavital is good and cheap.  Vinegar for towels.

Valued Contributor

We use dryer balls. We do not use fabric softener. Clothes turn out nice and soft and with a loft.

Honored Contributor

I use Mrs Meyers lemon verbena sometimes.  I have used this for years.  I have a liquid softener dispenser in my old Maytag.  My washer is 34 years old, so I don't know if they still have them. I place a tablespoon in the Dispenser, then add water to the fabric softener cap,  and put in dispenser.  

i dont use it with all wash.  I dont think the stuff is really good for clothes or the washer lines myself.  I would never add it to towels or my sheets, as I have sferra Egyptian cotton and it is not recommended.  Dryer sheets are worse, so what do you do?  I just go ahead and use it once in a while. 

Super Contributor

I use wool dryer balls.   

Valued Contributor

I've never used fabric softener.  I add vinegar to final rinse which removes last remnants of soap thereby softening the laundry.