Honored Contributor

Re: What Easy Pay Means for Me

@CalminHeart wrote:

Some people bash easy pay.  I wish they wouldn't talk down to people who do like it.  Each person has to make their own decisions and what works for one may not work for another.

@CalminHeart Good point.  If it works for others, that is what matters. But  I've seen several complaints about EP though (not this thread) with people blaming the Q for the customer buying too much on EP.

Honored Contributor

I try not to use that, I don't like owing and having that hang over my head.  That's just the way I am.  I won't enjoy that purchase until it's paid off and really mine.  LOL

Honored Contributor

There's a thread in Customer Care about delays in a refund. When using Easy Pay and I have to return, as I stated earlier, I'm not concerned with the days or weeks it takes for the refund.

Honored Contributor

I don't like tieing up debit card or another CC with something from QVC (or HSN or EVINE) for 2 reasons:

*long time to refund

*ties up cash/credit that may be needed in an emergency.

I use the Q card every time I make a purchase and on the cheapest outlay of money as possible. I don't buy on a whim. I return for 2 reasons: item arrives destroyed/not at all....item is defective from the get go. Beyond that, once it arrives safe and sound, I just  pull up the account and pay it off. 

Now, over the holidays, this was great because I shipped items to people across the country. Some arrived destroyed/opened/spoiled. Some arrived with the wrong item/color then was ordered. Some arrived and simply didn't work. No problem. It was sent back by the receiver and QVC credited my Qcard. In the meantime, I purchased something for the person/persons using my CC and there ya go. Again, only the Q card was tied up in that, nothing else.

Make your money work for you whichever way it works for ya. Who cares if others think it's stupid, odd, etc.; they're not paying your bills/taking care of your household. *shrugs*

Allow me to add: I love using the Jewelry Club account at a local department store. I purchase an item of jewelry and get 12 months to pay with no interest. I can spread it out or pay it off the next month.....works for me. 

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Why would you pay for something all at once when you can make time payments. As long as you have the money to pay the balance in full each month, no harm, no foul. Don't forget, you a building your credit rating when you pay something off. 

@blackhole99   That sounds like good advise for someone who keeps up with paying off their credit card each month... but many people do not.  And,

after a while, if you have many easy pays going on, it is hard to keep track of what YOU REALLY OWE.  I think it can lead to people spending more as they only see what they owe for that month... NOT THE WHOLE PICTURE.  That is why I call it a trap even if you pay off in full each month. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@CLEM wrote:

I have noticed that if I have something on easy pay, I do much less impulse shopping.  Generally, I do like to pay for a purchase in total though.   But having one item on easy pay does save me money.  Currently I have a $27 or so/month to pay off until August.

Wonder  if anyone else feels that way?

Easy Pay does NOT save anyone any money. Easy Pay spreads payments out, but it costs the exact same amount at the end. We have ti be careful how we phrase things because the idea that Easy Pay saves someone money is part of the reason people overspend and fall into debt.

Easy Pay doesn't save anyone money. Easy Pay is the illusion that money is being saved.

Easy Pay DOES save a lot of people a lot of money.

If they are making only purchases they need to, and spreading the payments out interest free, when otherwise they would have to pay interest, then it is saving them lots of money, especially on big things. 

Easy Pay here, and the 12 months same as cash at places like Lowes or Home Depot or the local carpet store, allow people to make big important purchases (mattresses, washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators, carpeting/flooring etc.) and pay no interest. They can either leave their money in other interest earning places, if they have it, or avoid paying interest for charging on regular credit cards, when they have no other money to make such purchases. Either way they are saving money. 

It also allows people with very limited incomes, who never get to save much, to keep their savings in tact while paying interest free for things that are necessary. We had a beloved dog take quite sick a few years ago, and while we had money in investments we could have cashed in to deal with the health issues, the interest free financing for one year the vet's office had available allowed us to buy the best treatment we could for him, and not touch those investments. He ended up having to be put to sleep just one week after diagnosis, but the last two weeks of his life, his vet bills were almost $3000. I was grateful we had a way to finance that huge (to us) bill, know we had done everything possible to save him and lay him to rest knowing we gave it all we could. 

I didn't regret financing that interest free for one year in the least, and it saved us a lot of money versus putting it on a regular credit card, or loosing return on invested money to pull out for such a thing. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have never used Easy pay, Flex pay, Stretch pay or Value pay, I only buy what I can afford to pay off in full when I buy it, works for me!!

Respected Contributor

I use Easy Pay here and at HSN and Evine. When you want something and live paycheck to paycheck, it's nice to have. Remember not everyone can just slap the full price on a credit card or debit card all the time. And it's also nice when you buy bigger ticket items. It's how I was able to afford a new smartphone after the one I had previously started to act up. I always kept track of what I owed each month and budgeted for those expenses. I recently paid off all my easy pays and Evine's value pays and the last things I ordered I paid in full because I had the money, so I owe nothing right now. 

Honored Contributor

I don’t buy much here but when I do I always use the easy pay option. Not sure what the big deal is for any smugness from those who don’t. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have never used Easy pay, Flex pay, Stretch pay or Value pay, I only buy what I can afford to pay off in full when I buy it, works for me!!

@Shelbelle  Smart Gal!