Honored Contributor

Re: What Easy Pay Means for Me

Some items I do buy on easy pay if it's something I just want to try. If I like it then I have it. Other items I buy on easy pay b/c they're just too pricey all at once.

I also pay off easy pays early, just did with items I bought recently from hsn and here.

Easy pay - yes it's convenient and if you use your own personal credit card as many of us do, the balance then is never really paid off. Drives me crazy!!!  I don't carry much of a balance at all on my one and only card but I absolutely do keep up with it and pay it off oft.

Respected Contributor

I agree with CLEM.  It does help me resist some impulse buying.  Also, why not get the "float" on my money?  I usually don't have any difficulty remembering when the $'s are going to be taken by the Q.

And easy pay is especially helpful with purchasing higher priced items like VitaMix or a Kitchen Aid bowl lift stand mixer.

It's a nice option to have and I will likely take advantage of it during Christams in July presentations as I have in the past.

To each his own.  Our approaches to managing money vary widely.  Use whatever technique works for you.  When I first was learning to budget as a young adult I used an "envelope" system with cash from my paycheck in each one as I walked around and paid my store layaways, utility bills, and the one wonderful envelope that had a little "splurge" money after paying all the bills and depositing money in savings.

Honored Contributor

Not at all a fan of easy pay.  Never use it.  My credit is excellent, so I guess I don't need easy pay pay-offs to improve it

Honored Contributor

Some people bash easy pay.  I wish they wouldn't talk down to people who do like it.  Each person has to make their own decisions and what works for one may not work for another.

Honored Contributor

I use easy pay on everything. 

Always have since the new policy of  'use your Q card and get 3 EZ all the time'

It stretches my buying ability.

Since returns take SO long, I am not out much until the credit finally appears.

I have never paid one cent of interest/finance charges in my life.  I am good at managing my spending and my ez payments.

It is one of the few policy changes Q has made that I like!

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

I agree with CLEM.  It does help me resist some impulse buying.  Also, why not get the "float" on my money?  I usually don't have any difficulty remembering when the $'s are going to be taken by the Q.

And easy pay is especially helpful with purchasing higher priced items like VitaMix or a Kitchen Aid bowl lift stand mixer.

It's a nice option to have and I will likely take advantage of it during Christams in July presentations as I have in the past.

To each his own.  Our approaches to managing money vary widely.  Use whatever technique works for you.  When I first was learning to budget as a young adult I used an "envelope" system with cash from my paycheck in each one as I walked around and paid my store layaways, utility bills, and the one wonderful envelope that had a little "splurge" money after paying all the bills and depositing money in savings.

@aroc3435

It seems to me, that as a whole, people of this nation (and probably much of the world) lost control of managing their debt when the envelope system went the way of the horse and buggy!

Back in the day, when most people paid their bills by collecting their cash, and physically handing it out to various creditors till all was paid, had a much more realistic view of money, how much they had, and when they had to stop (because the cash was gone). Same thing for people balancing a checkbook at the end of each week/month, and when everything in it was dispersed, the spending stopped. 

There has always been credit, but it didn't used to be so readily available, and most people were very particular about what they would buy on credit. There was a time where many wouldn't even buy a house or a car on credit. 

The old adage of 'cash on the barrelhead' doesn't exist for most people today, and easy pay has become a way of life for most people, if not at the Q, with their other purchases. 

One can discuss the advantages to keeping your cash and paying over time interest free, but the bottom line is even that interest free way of purchasing over time, tends to encourage many people to buy things or over spend on things they wouldn't if they were forking over the entire payment at once. 

Regular Contributor

At first I was using it for everything, until my monthly bill got too high.  It has been nice for large amount purchases, like my gold Judith Ripka bracelet, ring and pendants.  That makes it nice and easy to pay a few hundred dollars a month compared to over a thousand! Heart

Respected Contributor

Hi Everyone!   It's really interesting to read everyone's use or no use of easy pay.   I mostly agree with paying 100% immediately.

I have  never felt comfortable being in debt.  Back in 1984 when I bought a house and had to pay a mortgage, I just constantly felt the pressure of what if I lose my job and can't continue paying.  So, every months I paid additional money.  The house was paid off in 6 years.

Lately, with QVC, I ordered things and told myself that if I don't like it, I just return it.  But then I didn't like how those shipping charges added up and I really didn't have anyone else to blame than myself.  So, when there was a LeCreuset TSV of a lovely pot I wanted I decide to do it on easy pay.  And just the idea of owing money makes me think twice before I order anything.  I could have paid the entire amount, but for me, this experiment has worked.  This is month 3, and there have been no impulse buying so far.

Honored Contributor

I don't see easy pay as a "trap" or anything.  If people get overextended with multiple outstanding EP items, that is on them.  Yes the hosts only tend to tell us the EP amount.  Same as car commercials telling us what our monthly payment could be.  No one ever believes that is the price of a new car.

Personally, I just want to pay for something and be done with it,  I do not ever want to see a charge hit my account for 1/4 or 1/5 of the cost of a spatula set or a tshirt or a Lock N Lock set.  JMO, that is silly.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I have noticed that if I have something on easy pay, I do much less impulse shopping.  Generally, I do like to pay for a purchase in total though.   But having one item on easy pay does save me money.  Currently I have a $27 or so/month to pay off until August.

Wonder  if anyone else feels that way?

Easy Pay does NOT save anyone any money. Easy Pay spreads payments out, but it costs the exact same amount at the end. We have ti be careful how we phrase things because the idea that Easy Pay saves someone money is part of the reason people overspend and fall into debt.

Easy Pay doesn't save anyone money. Easy Pay is the illusion that money is being saved.