Honored Contributor

Re: What Does "I Don't Judge" Mean to You?

We all make judgements every day. I think a lot of what goes on is criticism and incorrect judging.  Here is a list of how some people remark.  These are incorrect ways to give an opinion in ways that can hurt or irritate people.  I have seen most of these here at one time or another.  I rather imagine most of us have done some of these at one time or another.  Some people, however,  have made it a lifestyle and see it as ok.   None of these are ok.
acid adjective

an acid remark or acid humor shows criticism in a way that is clever but cruel

acrid adjective

an acrid remark expresses criticism in a cruel way

allusive adjective

formal referring to someone or something in an indirect way

astringent adjective

an astringent remark is one that criticizes someone severely

backhanded adjective

said in a way that seems to express admiration but really expresses the opposite

biting adjective

a biting remark, criticism, etc. is cruel and unkind

bland adjective

bland comments or remarks are pleasant and intended not to make anyone upset or angry, but they may not be sincere

cheap adjective

a cheap action or remark is unfair or unkind and does not deserve respect

close to home phrase

a remark or joke that is close to home makes you embarrassed or upsetbecause it is closely related to your personal problems

coded adjective

expressed in an indirect way

cutting adjective

a cutting remark is cruel and intended to upset someone

dark adjective

a dark look or remark is angry and threatening

defamatory adjective

formal defamatory remarks are not true and make people have a badopinion of someone

derisive adjective

showing that you think someone or something is stupid, unimportant, or useless

derogatory adjective

showing that you have a bad opinion of something or someone, usually in an insulting way

double-edged adjective

a double-edged comment or remark can have two completely differentmeanings

glib adjective

a glib remark is made without careful thought and suggests that a situation is better or simpler than it really is

off-color adjective

an off-color joke or remark is rude or offensive

gent
 adjective

pungent comments or remarks criticize something in a direct and effectiveway

sardonic adjective

a sardonic smile, expression, or comment shows a lack of respect for what someone else has said or done

slighting adjective

a slighting remark or action is rude and is intended to make someone seem unimportant

sly adjective

a sly smile, look, or remark shows that the person doing it knows something that other people do not know

tart adjective

a tart reply or remark is slightly cruel

throwaway adjective

a throwaway remark, comment, etc. is something that you say suddenly and without thinking carefully about it

trite adjective

a trite remark is not interesting or original because it is what people usuallysay in that situation

withering adjective

a withering look, expression, or remark deliberately makes you feel silly or embarrassed

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  To me, it means that I judge people based on who they are and my interactions with them.  I may not like something that they have said or done, but if I can understand their reasoning, whether I agree or not, then I don't judge them and I accept them for who they are.  That does not mean that I don't give my opinion.  Like most, I have a line that cannot be crossed.  I don't make a judgment unless that line is crossed.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

What kinds of things should you NOT judge?  Do you judge the actions but not the person  

--------------------------------

Your neigbor left his dog tied up in the yard all day - no food or water  ... it's 30 degrees outside and started the snow.  

-------------------------------

Man down the street killed his wife and kids in a drunken rage.

-------------------------------

You found out your brother-in-law is cheating on your sister.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

Depends on the post. Some probably use the sentence literally and are not being judgmental. Others unthinkingly seem to write that they do not judge just before making a judgmental statement. Pay them little or no attention!

Honored Contributor

To me the phrase has religious undertones.

Honored Contributor

THANKS to all who posted these thoughtful responses!  It has been an interesting and enlightening discussion.

I appreciate all of your time and efforts!

Honored Contributor

It means they are trashing, bashing, critcizing, making fun of or belittling someone but they arent't honest enough or woman enough to just do it. They want to pretend that they didn't mean....what they just said.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

To me, it means "If mthat how you view the situation, ok.  It's your vision not mine."  Let's move forward.  No judgement.

@ECBG 

Agree with your explanation. 

However, after today I'm so confused with so many things! I KNOW I sounded judgemental (or questioning) in my lengthy post. So stressful. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

To me, it means "If mthat how you view the situation, ok.  It's your vision not mine."  Let's move forward.  No judgement.

@ECBG 

Agree with your explanation. 

However, after today I'm so confused with so many things! I KNOW I sounded judgemental (or questioning) in my lengthy post. So stressful. 

@BirkiLady Not necessarily.  In these posts a lot is lost because there are no voice inflections and facial expressions.  We all see life through the filter of our lives which has led us to the mental place we are now.

Honored Contributor

That you’re a liar.