Valued Contributor

@Texasmouse  Some states don't allow it. I also heard  the Feds were trying to make that a national law but I don't know what happened to that.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Respected Contributor

Re: What Do You Think

[ Edited ]

I don't know if this is what happened to you. My doctor warned me that a lot of anesthesiologidts & ER workers will not accept any insurance. His daughter also got a big bill because of this.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@suzyQ3 there had been talk of implementing legislature to prevent "surprise" medical billing but I never heard whether or not it was ever passed. 

There should be transparency on these types of extra costs, discussed during the planning stages of a procedure.  It's not right to hit someone with a bill they never expected and didn't budget for, after the fact.

@Texasmouse   I agree that many anesthesiologists are freelance but patients are given a form to sign indicating they will be responsible for any charges not covered by insurance.

This is the tricky part-always call your insurance provider FIRST and if you have a "live chat" or other messaging system, ask ALL questions so that it is in writing.

Then you have to call your doctor/clinic/etc. and go over ALL details of coverage.

"In-Network" doesn't always mean 100% paid, either.

My anesthesiologist was freelance but insurance picked up all but $100 because of her contract with the doctor and location.

It all depends who, what, where, etc.  Unfortunately every case is different so we have to do our own footwork to make sure everything is in order.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor
DH has had almost the same thing happen. He had a colonoscopy done at an in- network clinic in early March that verified his insurance, etc. He was told he only owed his copay and would be billed for it. He got a bill for $14k for the anesthesiologist! DH called insurance co. and they said the clinic is in-network, the anesthesiologist is not. He is contract, so not on any network. Called billing and they said they would “ get back to us”.
Honored Contributor
They should tell you ahead of time if anyone is going to be a contract, no- network doctor. I don’t think drs have the option of not accepting insurance payment. Money is money, but insurance contracts mean the drs agree to take less. If they can bill the patient directly, they can insist on the whole amount, or as much as they want to charge, I guess. It’s a racket!
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I had cataract surgery on June 17 at a facility where all the eye surgeries are done for this large multi office eye centers. The doctor and surgery facility are both in network for my health insurance. The facility has my insurance information and knows what insurance I have. So guess what I got today, a bill from the anesthesiologist for $1,825! I don't know why I would get such a large bill. I will call my insurance company on Monday. Can they say the doctor was out of network? That shouldn't be my fault as the facility was aware of what insurance I had. Am I suppose to tell them, no I'll have the surgery without any anesthesia? I have heard this happening before, but I don't feel it is right. If I end up having to pay the whole thing, I'm going to pay it in many installments.

Many times the anesthesiologist is not employed directly where they are practicing but rather "contracted out."  Can't think of another way to say it.  Happens all the time in the hospitals.  Just because you're covered by going to an in-network hospital, doesn't mean the doctors are in network.  But, who thinks of asking that question during a time like that?  I've seen stories about this on the news many times, especially in emergency situations such as going to the ER for a heart attack or something urgent.  You go to your hospital that you know is in network then get slammed with doctor's bills because they're not in network.  There were many people wanting a bill or something passed that if a doctor works at a hospital, any hospital or facility, then they should be in network.  

Valued Contributor

Do not pay it right away. I would make sure the Dr.'s office has billed it correctly. It has happened to my parents many times.

Honored Contributor

@DAD wrote:

Do not pay it right away. I would make sure the Dr.'s office has billed it correctly. It has happened to my parents many times.

@DAD   That is another important point.

Medical billing can be a nightmare.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I was supposed to get it done at the end of last year.

The person who gives you the relaxing stuff (forget what it's called) made a big deal out of the fact that I see a cardiologist.

My cardiologist sent them a fax saying I was cleared to get the surgery.  Then they wanted a new EKG even though the one I'd had done was just a few months old, so I got another one.  Then they wanted something else, I complied with their wishes.

My cardiologist was so angry smoke was coming out of his ears.  He said you've had every test done and passed it.  He said, "I'm a cardiologist.  I operate on people's hearts and we don't require some of what this anestheoligist wants.  It's just a mild sedative to relax you.

They finally called and said they didn't feel right doing it at this time.  My Dr said, "Find someone new.  I'll give you the name of the person whom my father used."  

He did.  But then the virus came and the rest is history.

I hope it's settled for you and you don't owe any money.  It's terrible when a large bill comes to someone.

If you do have to pay it, send them a few dollars every month.  As long as you are paying it, they can't do anything to you.

Take care and please let us know how you are doing.  AnnabellethecatSmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

If you do have to pay it, send them a few dollars every month.  As long as you are paying it, they can't do anything to you.

You are allowed to send any account to a collection agency, if it's not paid in full OR if there is not an agreed upon payment arrangement made with both parties in agreement. 

All states are not the same, but many do share that general rule. 

I suggest you check into that carefully.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon