Super Contributor

Re: What Do You Think About the Latest NSAIDs Report?

John,

Great responseSmiley Happy

Have a blessed day -- ENJOYSmiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My cardiologist has always advised me to try Tylenol before using Advil.  I might as well eat gumdrops than take TylenolSmiley Indifferent

I do feel my BP increase if I take Advil.  It's only 2 -- but it does affect me.  Thus, I use them very rarely, but they are the only NSAID that works when I have painSmiley Sad

ETA:  My system is extremely sensitive to all meds, so the reaction I have to Advil is probably extreme compared to others.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
oops. NM

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I like aleeve and my husband likes advil.   I take it before bed for my aches and pains and he takes his in the morning for the same reason.  He goes to work and I want to sleep.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

In all of history, thousands of years, I don't think we've had so many dilemmas, regarding just about everything, as we have today.  In many ways, these are times when we have to think and be pro-active on a daily basis.  So much information that we must sift through, etc.  I just don't have an opinion right now; but I haven't yet read the other posts, either. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

This report does surprise me on some levels because the side effects of this class of drugs have seemed to focus on liver damage. Statins also have the chance of permanent side effects of neuropathy, which have been ignored by some in the medical community.

What to do about ongoing pain? It depends. My pain history is a mini-drama I will not go into. I am fortunate to have good insurance, which is a blessing. It took many, many tests and many docs before I finally went to a pain center. Got a diagnosis, had months of PT, Hydrocodon and steroid shots in my back. After a bad reaction to my last shot, went back to my family doc with all info, and we decided I would try Meloxicam and Gabapentin for relief. Immediate results. Went to Mass General pain clinic, and they agreed on diagnosis and pain relief treatment.

It's all a balance. I am now 70 years old and I don't want to spend the rest of my life in terrible pain. I know all the side effects, and I am willing to risk it. But, I know, it is different for everyone.

A couple points:
If you have good insurance, get second, third, etc., opinions on the source of your pain and potential treatments. Don't give up. It's your life, and you have to advocate for yourself

Also, at the same time, talk to a lot of people and do your research. Your new hobby.

And some may take offense to this or dispute this, but I don't care. I've had three separate PTs tell me that docs are great for diagnosis of structural pain, but less than PTs for diagnosis of muscular issues. The arthritis in my back was picked up by scans, but my pelvic muscular issues were a mystery to all. These particular issues, pelvic floor disorders, were recently written about in Prevention Magazine and picked up by Readers Digest. Focus was not only on these disorders, but the fact that any docs have little knowledge about them. A good reference book is Heal Pelvic Pain by Amy Stein.

I am so much better off than I was. I wish hope and wellness to all. God bless.

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

This is not new news!

You need to talk to your doctor.

Everything we take comes down to benefit vs risk.

There's a risk in LIVING!

Hyacinth

From what I understand this is "new" news!   Prior to this announcement, thought this was only suspected......now they are saying it's more than a suspicion.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

With the possible exception of rheumatoid arthritis which started my downhill health spiral, there is not one single thing wrong with me that has not been caused by medications, both prescription and OTC.

And the list of things wrong with me is very long.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Hi biancardi,  

The posts to which I am were referring to in my last post wete on this very same topic. No politics/religion/bad words or phrases. 

What was edited out was a continuation of me explaining, via my own health experiences, what I had to in regards to NSAIDS and blood thinners(Coumadin/Warfarin) prior to my back surgery and another invasive procedure to have a Vena Cava Filter installed to help prevent PE.

I remember very distinctly what I wrote as in it I mentioned why I had to do these things, and my friend the Spinal Surgeon, that suggested I do this prior to him doing the surgery. He said he would not do the surgery until imhad been off NSAIDS and Blood Thinners for 10 days priornto removing my ruptured L-3 lumbar disc.

He suggested since I somehow already had survived 2 bouts with the deadly PE, having a Greenfield Vena Cava Filter installed, would greatly reduce the risks of PE during the ruptured disc removal.

Do you find anything I just typed above needing to be removed from a thread in which it is "on topic", and a factual personal experience I know only because my back Surgeon also happens to be a good friend of mine? 

That is why it was quite easy for me to remember exactly what I put in my post, and it was edited out by someone, and that someone was not me.

My personal health problems, to my knowledge, are not against any Community Standards that I have ever read in regards to this Bulletin Board, and that is why I am bothered by someone removing a well thought out and well written recountingnof my personal experience which is directly "on topic" in those specific threads.

Thank you for your comments

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

hi john, 

I have no idea why they edited it then.  Nothing you wrote is against the board standards.   I wonder if a newbie moderator messed up?

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames