Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Do You Think About the Latest NSAIDs Report?

Thirty years ago I developed ulcers from a relatively short course of Ibuprofen for a sports injury. After that I was told never to take NSAIDs again. My husband, however, takes them often for osteoarthritis. He has a family history of heart attack and now he's concerned about these new warnings. I am too.
New Contributor

Every type of drug , OTC or prescription come with dangers. If you read or listen to commercials for drugs POSSIBLE side effects sound worse than whatever your taking the drugs for. The thing is to not abuse any drug, I take Advil & have been taking it for over 30 yrs. the key word in the article is it MIGHT cause problems. You have to take something for pain or headaches just take the recommended dose.
Respected Contributor

Vioxx was great, too bad they had to take it off the market.  Ive been on Celebrex for 15 years with no problems.

Respected Contributor

There have been side effects known since the beginning. Evidence of more serious ones with chronic use has been growing for some time. It underscores the need to seriously evaluate your need for any drug, including prescription meds. OTC drugs however, are easily over used leading to some serious consequences in this particular category ... NSAIDS. The ease of procurement along with the routine recommendation by physicians over the years was a bit unfortunate and misguided.I feel the new warning is completely warranted, and thank goodness they did enough research to officially state that taking it regularly is not with out some more serious consequence, especially in certain categories. So the lesson once again, don't ingest anything unless you absolutely can't live without it.

Respected Contributor

NSAID's are very dangerous drugs. So many people are so scared to take opiate pain meds but eat anti inflammatory drugs like tic tacs. If you are in pain enough to take NSAIDs on a regular basis every day, you probably need to see a pain management doctor or at least be aware of your risks and have bloodwork to monitor side effects.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:
It isn't really news. My orthopedist has always stated Advil is not without dangers but people think that because it is OTC, that it is safe. He advised patches, ice, heat and Aleeve if you need something because you take less.

Aleve can cause heart problems, among other issues, and can also cause bleeding as it thins the blood.  It is stronger than Advil and other such drugs.

Honored Contributor

Can someone please post what the latest report said? Did I miss it in the post somewhere?

Esteemed Contributor

I am not really surprised by the report. Many years ago I was taking an NSAID called Voltarren for a painful neuroma between two toes. The first week I took it, I was okay. I stopped taking it when the inflammation subsided, but then two or three weeks later, the inflammation came back. I reintroduced it to my system, and within a few hours I was having anaflaxis. Couldn't breathe, felt like an elephant was on my chest, face swelled up and turned red as did my eyes. Eventually, it subsided on its own, but the EMT's insisted on giving me an ekg just in case.  My doctor at the time didn't think it had been caused by the Voltarren, but she told me to not take any kind of NSAID including the over the counter ones because they were related to Voltarren. Fast forward to 6 months down the line when my friend began taking Voltarren. She woke her husband up in the wee hours of the morning and told him she thought she was having a heart attack. He took her to the emergency room,  had an ekg, which like me proved to be normal, and they determined it was the Voltarren. My doctor told me the next time I came in that she is a believer now about voltarren as one of her patients had symptoms of a heart attack while driving on the freeway. She too was taking voltarren. Another person I know had an allergic reaction to Ibuprophen after she had been taking it for months. This is not new as medical journals have written about vioxx and voltarren which can cause false heart attack symptoms, or can trigger a heart attack. I have arthritis, but the only drug I will ever take for it is aspirin. I don't trust NSAIDs and will never take any again.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

Can someone please post what the latest report said? Did I miss it in the post somewhere?

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2015/07/09/fda-strengthens-heart-attack-stroke-warning...

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Mousegirl, they all pose the same risk. Aspirin, Aleve, ibuprofen, Celebrex, Mobic, Indocin., and on and on.