Respected Contributor

What Do You Think About the Latest NSAIDs Report?

[ Edited ]

This scares me a little...since I use Advil somewhat regulary for knee pain, lower back pain and generalized joint pain.

I sometimes take 4 at a time, but when I do that I only do it once a day.

If we shouldn't be using these, what can you used for joint pain?

Article here

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Think About the Latest NSAIDs Report?

I've been taking prescription strength NSAIDs for over 25 years and have never had a problem. I see my doctor for blood tests every 3 month. For a long time I took 800mg of Motrin daily until I stated getting heartburn from it. I switched to a drug called Lodine and have taken it 20 years with no ill effects. I couldn't function without it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It isn't really news. My orthopedist has always stated Advil is not without dangers but people think that because it is OTC, that it is safe. He advised patches, ice, heat and Aleeve if you need something because you take less.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:
It isn't really news. My orthopedist has always stated Advil is not without dangers but people think that because it is OTC, that it is safe. He advised patches, ice, heat and Aleeve if you need something because you take less.

I know.....but that's what happened with Vioxx (that stuff was the best!!) and it was subsequently taken off the market.  

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Aleve was mentioned in the article. I had liked the idea that it was long-lasting, but the two times I tried it years ago, I developed pain in my stomach.

I stick with the smallest dose of Advil if I need something. Tylenol was mentioned as alternative in the article, I think, but certainly it, too, has its drawbacks.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I have read it is really news. While they thought for years it might be the cause of increase heart attacks, now there is a definite connection.

I cannot take NSAIDs because I have GI problems, as probably anyone with GI problems knows, they aren't a good idea to take in even small doses.

All that is left for me is Tylenol or opiates. My doctor has advised me not to take more than 3,000mg of Tylenol in day even though they say 4,000.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Aleve was mentioned but if it works for you it is better. Some people must take something...I try not to...I have a long standing back problem and use hot cold applications, patches, tens...but I go to Aleve if I must. Tylenol has its issues too...liver damage....it is hard for people with chronic pain...so you have to make choices and be cautious..,
Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:
Yes, Aleve was mentioned but if it works for you it is better. Some people must take something...I try not to...I have a long standing back problem and use hot cold applications, patches, tens...but I go to Aleve if I must. Tylenol has its issues too...liver damage....it is hard for people with chronic pain...so you have to make choices and be cautious..,

YOu are right! My dr says no more than 3,000mg of Tylenol which is only 6 pills a day! That usually doesn't help me at all. I do get oxycodone with no tylenol added but that is for when nothing else helps. I cannot take any NSAIDs at all and Aleve used to be my pain reliever of choice so that has made it really difficult for me.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Hi Lotus, I posted the recipe and photo for you on MGM's line.

Re: NSAIDs... just when I find something that really helps, this news comes out Woman Frustrated  ibuprofen works wonders for me, but it can damage kidneys for lupus patients so I only take it rarely. 

The bad thing is, they aren't specific about how high a dose is dangerous.

BTW, I received a recent medical alert that says taking Tylenol can increase the risk of homicide  Image result for scream smiley

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

Lotus, you are right. I was on Vioxx as opposed to opiates post op after back surgery and it was great. Then, studies showed the heart damage and gone. I had no problems. The news about Advil and such may be new to some but those of us in the medical community have seen many problems over the years related to NSAIDS. But, again, you must make choices right for you.