Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Think About the Latest NSAIDs Report?

These new reports came out just this past week and they are supposed to put new and stronger warnings on ibuprofin and naproxin. The warnings are not just for those with heart issues, but high cholesterol and other things.

You can search new warnings on nsaids in any search bar and come up with lots of news articles on these latest reports.

Though there were always warnings (and liver dammage with tylenol, ulcers with aspirin etc etc), these are new discoveries.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I am allergic to all NSAIDS, so I can't use them, unfortunatley..  I imagine if I could use them, it would be the best for my arthritis.

Motrin, advil, aleve, meclomen and RX NSAIDS sent me to hospital one time, and they said never use them again, It is on my medical records.  The reaction I got was inability to urinate, extreme swelling in extremities. One of them gave me hives, IDK why.  I so wish I could take them

Shoekitty,

Was it Advil that gave you hives?  About 6 weeks ago I had a bad bout of hives on my lower legs and ankles.  I was taking Advil for the pain associated with arthritis while doing some traveling.  I suspected the hives were caused by Advil.  I stopped the Advil and the hives slowly went away.  I'm not taking it now, but I miss it; it does help with the pain.

Honored Contributor

It wasn't exactly news; my doc asked me to stop taking taking them quite awhile ago.  I did comply, off and on.  But when you are in serious pain, you need relief and that class of drugs works best.  I'm taking a high dose prescription Naproxen now but hopefully I won't need it after I get spinal steroid injections in August.  I had knee injections in May and my knees have been pain free since then.  Until then, I have no choice in the matter.  Naproxen and Neurontin control my pain.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:
Mousegirl, they all pose the same risk. Aspirin, Aleve, ibuprofen, Celebrex, Mobic, Indocin., and on and on.

I was okayed to take aspirin, but not of the others. Low dose aspirin is prescribed to lower the chance of heart attack and stroke. The rest of the NSAIDS are prohibited for me, and with my arthritis, I wish I COULD take them. Aspirin helps, but probably not as much as the others would.

Esteemed Contributor

@Brittany-QVC wrote:

Hi John,

I am sorry to hear that happened. I took a look at your previous posts on this thread and I am not seeing that they have been edited by us. If you experience this issue again, please e-mail us at QVCSocialTeam@QVC.com. 

Brittany 

Brittany,

I appreciate you taking the time to look into this issue. I don't know what happened, only know it did happen.

Thank you,

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

My trainer is getting his doctorate in physical therapy.

He told me NOT to take ANY painkillers when I'm sore - he said it slows down healing.

I never ask for details...now I see why he told me that!

With all due respect, I'd recommend that you ask your trainer why you are sore and why he advises you not to take any painkillers when sore after exercise.

I know the answer to the above, but am surprised that he hasn't educated you and that you don't have the information already on board.

Generally speaking, during a training/exercise session, lactic acid can build up in musle tissue.  This is not only toxic to the tissue, but causes some pain.  Additionally, microscopic pulls or even tears (if you're really pushing it) can add to that pain.  In order to process the lactic acid out of muscle tissue, O2 is required.  Best way to introduce O2 is through continued movement and exercise, so the "cooling down" you perform is very important and may be even more so when time-extended.

***ALWAYS ask for details!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi sfnative,

I realize I was searching for info that did not exist back in the 1960's, as that was long before anyone cared about sports injuries/their causes/their length of recovery, and so forth. Since that time to now? Anyone that wants to know about what happens to the body, before/during and after exercise, it is not that hard to find.

To those like myself, that learned via injuries, for the most part, we searched for any and everything pertaining to this, written by those doing the Human Physiology Studies, mostly on well conditioned athletes, and their findings.

Most doctors in the 1960's gave the oft heard: "if it hurts when you do it? Quit doing it" credo from them. They had no clue about footplant/pronation/slow twitch-fast twitch/chondromalacia patella, and I could proably list 50 more, just from my own injury experiences.

Lactic acid buildup has been known about for decades now, along with the fastest ways to expel it from one's tissues. As you said, building muscle be it for strength or endurance, the body goes through a process of damaging muscle and connective tissue, as that is how they rebuild stronger.

That is also why most Sports Exercise Physiologists say to not overwork the same muscle groups on consecutive days. The rest period is as important, maybe even moreso for some, than the exercise part of building the muscles.

Sorry, I can't stop myself. It just boggles my mind when I think of all the "overuse injuries" I suffered because there was no info available at those times. Some from hockey related injuries(which were more trauma types) and running injuries that were primarily from overuse.

And then came the lack of info on ones feet in relation to the back/in relation to the hips/in relation to the hamstrings/in relation to the knees/in relation to the calves/in relation to the Achilles Tendon, and then the KING of them all, the Plantar Fascia.

Thanks for your comments on this "sfnative", I am not stepping out from behind the podium.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Hi sfnative,

I realize I was searching for info that did not exist back in the 1960's, as that was long before anyone cared about sports injuries/their causes/their length of recovery, and so forth. Since that time to now? Anyone that wants to know about what happens to the body, before/during and after exercise, it is not that hard to find.

To those like myself, that learned via injuries, for the most part, we searched for any and everything pertaining to this, written by those doing the Human Physiology Studies, mostly on well conditioned athletes, and their findings.

Most doctors in the 1960's gave the oft heard: "if it hurts when you do it? Quit doing it" credo from them. They had no clue about footplant/pronation/slow twitch-fast twitch/chondromalacia patella, and I could proably list 50 more, just from my own injury experiences.

Lactic acid buildup has been known about for decades now, along with the fastest ways to expel it from one's tissues. As you said, building muscle be it for strength or endurance, the body goes through a process of damaging muscle and connective tissue, as that is how they rebuild stronger.

That is also why most Sports Exercise Physiologists say to not overwork the same muscle groups on consecutive days. The rest period is as important, maybe even moreso for some, than the exercise part of building the muscles.

Sorry, I can't stop myself. It just boggles my mind when I think of all the "overuse injuries" I suffered because there was no info available at those times. Some from hockey related injuries(which were more trauma types) and running injuries that were primarily from overuse.

And then came the lack of info on ones feet in relation to the back/in relation to the hips/in relation to the hamstrings/in relation to the knees/in relation to the calves/in relation to the Achilles Tendon, and then the KING of them all, the Plantar Fascia.

Thanks for your comments on this "sfnative", I am not stepping out from behind the podium.

Hi John,

Thank you, John, for the reply.  I "hear" everything that you've said, as I was a college athlete (fencing) and also took kinesiology at the time, which would have been '68-'69.  Played lots of field hockey, soccer and tennis and many other sports as well and honestly believe that the blows and falls received back then, along with a few nasty genes have been wreaking havoc with me for the last 20 years.

(The injury that bothers me every day is the blow I took to the left side of my face and nose by a hockey stick - penalty! -  which knocked me out and broke my nose.)

I firmly believe the best things we can do is to keep ourselves educated; keep our chronic conditions in check, as much as possible, with regular visits to our physicians; sleep as well as possible; eat well; and, keep on truckin' (moving).

It's late, John.  Gotta see if I can get some sleep tonight with this big back flare.  "See" you tomorrow.

~Rebecca