Trusted Contributor

Re: What Do You Think About This Email

@esmerelda wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Does everyone know that the IRS for some inexplicable reason gave a 7.5 no bid contract to Equifax to give that agency info about us?  😡

@tansy  Not sure I understand.  The IRS is paying Equifax to give the IRS info about us?  Like what?  Why?  And why does the IRS have to pay for it?

@tansy  -  That is an intrguing statment. I listen to Coast2CoastAM and they talk about things like this all the time - BUT, I've not heard this mentioned.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Does everyone know that the IRS for some inexplicable reason gave a 7.5 no bid contract to Equifax to give that agency info about us?  😡

@tansy  Not sure I understand.  The IRS is paying Equifax to give the IRS info about us?  Like what?  Why?  And why does the IRS have to pay for it?

@tansy  -  That is an intrguing statment. I listen to Coast2CoastAM and they talk about things like this all the time - BUT, I've not heard this mentioned.

@sandraskates, the info is on several sites but would probably be deleted for sidebars or whatever.  Try Google with Equifax and IRS.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy Yes, saw that story & can't believe it! The former head of Equifax appeared before Congress today to testify & be questioned, if anyone thought the Equifax executives will be held responsible for the breach & cashing out before the news became public they will be disappointed....the IRS story proves nobody in the federal government cares.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@tansy Yes, saw that story & can't believe it! The former head of Equifax appeared before Congress today to testify & be questioned, if anyone thought the Equifax executives will be held responsible for the breach & cashing out before the news became public they will be disappointed....the IRS story proves no one in power cares.

Just beyond disgusting, isn't it?  😡

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

sandraskates wrote:

esme wrote:

tansy wrote:

@sandraskates,  Coast to Coast radio isn't a news source.   It's entertainment and opinion, sometimes even compensated endorsements presented as interviews with so-called "experts."   In the past they've even been known to pay "actors" (fake callers) to be the callers to the shows to artificially promote desired opinions.  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have Allstate for my home and auto insurance. I got an email from them  today about the breach from Equifax. Allstate wants to sell me identity theft protection at a cost of $40 for the year. You get up to $25,000 coverage for reimbursement. I think they are using a scare tactic, and $25,000 isn't even that much coverage. Also I thought that you don't have to pay any expenses on your credit card that were charged fraudulently?

@Jordan2- I'd forgotten about it, but we've had a small amount of id protection coverage on our homeowner's with State Farm for years.  I think ours might also be $25,000.  It was a small amount to add it, so I did.  I didn't give much thought to it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I've thought about freezing my credit after the new year.  I just bought a new house and my car is only 3 years old so don't think I'll be needing any loans for a good while.  

Prior to credit cards adding the new chips, my credit card had to be reissued 4 times in 6 months. I check my accounts each morning but all were caught by the credit union shortly after they hit pending.  Credit union sends me text to call fraud dept and I always keep the known credit union number in the notes section on my Iphone so I'm calling what I know to be their real number to avoid clicking on a hyperlink or calling a fake number.  

I also set up notification alerts on my debit and credit cards linked with my cell - every time I use them at ATMs or to charge something I get a text.  Makes it much easier to remember a charge when you get that "ding" right after making a purchase.  

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have Allstate for my home and auto insurance. I got an email from them  today about the breach from Equifax. Allstate wants to sell me identity theft protection at a cost of $40 for the year. You get up to $25,000 coverage for reimbursement. I think they are using a scare tactic, and $25,000 isn't even that much coverage. Also I thought that you don't have to pay any expenses on your credit card that were charged fraudulently?

@Jordan2, this probably is coverage for the legal and other expenses you would suffer if your identity was stolen. The legal expenses can be significant, but $25k in coverage is adequate. You are correct that you are not responsible for credit card purchases you did not make, loans that you did not take out etc., but proving you did not make the purchases, take out the loan, etc., can become expensive.

After the breach, I asked my financial advisor for advice about what to do, and his first recommendation was to get a policy such as this.

Valued Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Jasmine19 wrote:

@tansy 

I've frozen my credit with the three big credit reporting agencies. I've googled but cannot find the names of the smaller one(s). Can you help? Thanks.

Innovis is the fourth one, @Jasmine19.  There's a small one called CHEX, which is more to do with bank accounts.  

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I called my Allstate agent to inquire about this. This is coverage if anyone steals your identity, possible getting medical tests in your name for example. The insurance will cover you up til $25,000 if you need to hire a lawyer to fight any charges. I figured $40 wasn't a lot of money to spend to have a little piece of mind.