Honored Contributor

What Do You Think About This Email

I have Allstate for my home and auto insurance. I got an email from them  today about the breach from Equifax. Allstate wants to sell me identity theft protection at a cost of $40 for the year. You get up to $25,000 coverage for reimbursement. I think they are using a scare tactic, and $25,000 isn't even that much coverage. Also I thought that you don't have to pay any expenses on your credit card that were charged fraudulently?

Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Think About This Email

[ Edited ]

With the Equifax breach, your main worry is that someone is opening up credit or loans using your info.  I decided to freeze our credit with four bureaus but then I don't plan to open new credit cards or buy a new car, etc.

Honored Contributor

Lots of these offers are being made because of the big security breach.  I wouldn't take the bait.

Respected Contributor

I would take it. It is just an added protection and it is less than $1

a week. Why not ?

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

With the Equifax breach, your main worry is that someone is opening up credit or loans using your info.  I decided to freeze our credit with four bureaus but then I don't plan to open new credit cards or buy a new car, etc.

Absolutely correct, @tansy. Our credit card companies always alert us to suspicious use of our card. Allstate is trying to make a buck from the breach.

We've had our credit on freeze for several years now. Yes, it can be a pain to open it when needed, but not really so bad. It's basically a phone call (or online), and it was free for us a couple weeks ago when we decided to open up an Amazon credit card. In the past, I think it was $10  for each credit bureau.

BTW, when there was a thread here about the Equifax situation, I learned about a couple more bureaus, so we are on freeze with them as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Costco has an identity guard that I've heard good things about.  It's ten dollars a month and covers one million dollars.  I believe they also handle all the problems that come with identity theft.  

I don't know the details, but you might want to look into it to compare and contrast,

Esteemed Contributor

I  would not pay for a service most people do not need. Please go to the credit bureaus, and freeze your accounts.

Esteemed Contributor

I pay online and I check my accounts every two days.  And I have LIfeLock.  I might add, my Chase and Citi cards are always out front and I have been saved in the past by their vigiliance.

1.  Someone in the Virgin Islands buying a diamond ring

2.  Someone trying to buy a mans suit in NYC

3.  Someone getting a fast food meal in El Salvador

4.  Someone trying to get a flight out of LaGuardia to New Orleans.

None of them ME and was caught immediately....

My card was protected and account changed.  And do I rest no way. I still look and am personally on guard and I know my day is coming for someone to make a major breach but atleast I am being watchful.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy 

I've frozen my credit with the three big credit reporting agencies. I've googled but cannot find the names of the smaller one(s). Can you help? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

I would take it. It is just an added protection and it is less than $1

a week. Why not ?

@Danky, it’s not the $40, I can afford that. I just don’t want to pay for something that’s unnecessary, I feel they’re trying to take advantage of me.