Respected Contributor

Re: What Do You Owe Your Parents

Same here!  My husband came from a very sad home and I believe we are together because we both had sad childhoods and understand and support eachother.  We chose not to have children.......

@blackhole99 wrote:

My parents were not the best and that's putting it mildly. My Mom died first and my brother who both my parents loved best and did not abuse, took care of her until she died. My Dad died a few years later and my brother and youngest sister cared for him, but my sister owed my Dad financially. My parents literally gave me nothing but grief and I feel I owed them nothing. The way I was raised indeed affected every aspect of my life and it was much harder for me trust people, especially adults. I thank God I was able to educate myself and marry a wonderful loving and very understanding man. That's what saved me.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I owed my parents a great deal.  My parents did so much for me when I was growing up and made a lot of sacrifices in order to do so.   I took care of my mother for 15 years after my father died.  When she was no longer able to live alone, my DH and I took her in to live with us.  That was the least I could have done after all she did for me.   She has been gone for 13 years and I miss her every day.  But my conscience is at peace because I did as much as I could for her.

Respected Contributor

These replies are very interesting.

My friend was taken to her aunt to live at age 10. Her mother apparently had other interests rather than raising her child. Fast forward many years. My friend took her mother into her home at the age of 80 ish and she has cared for her mother for almost 20 years.

I guess there are moral obligations that each of us will make in the course of life. 

Honored Contributor

My parents....I would do anything for them and did when they were alive, they were good parents.

I have two sisters that are just awful...I have not seen them for 10 ish years and have no plans to see them again....sad but the truth.

Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Whenever I see someone (IRL or on TV) treating their aged parents "badly" (using my definition of "badly") I wonder what had happened in the past to cause this now?  It did not happen in a vacuum.  The parent may have been physically abusive or toxic.  You just don't know what is in people's hearts and minds. 

Why assume the parents caused their behavior, they may just be rotten people who don't want to be bothered.

Respected Contributor

I call my ""father" the sperm donor. That should tell everything about the type of father he was or was not. When he passed away it was like a stranger died. There was no grief.
Honored Contributor

I'm sad to read some of the replies that others have experienced from their parents☹️

I owe my parents a big thank you for making me the person I am today.  Sure they were strict but that taught me to be a responsible, respectful and more!  They weren't perfect by any stretch but they instilled values and life skills I still use today.

They both passed early in life wish I could "thank" them🙂

Honored Contributor

This post started in 2017.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

It is amazing that this thread from 2017 has been bumped up.  How do people even find these and for what reason??

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 , I wonder the same thing.