Respected Contributor

Re: picklesRe: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

@truffle wrote:

Isn't mayo bad for you?  If there's a way to make it without mayo I'd be willing to try that but I doubt it would taste good. 

@truffle ... I guess you could use Miracle whip if you preferred. It's not like I eat mayo every day, so I guess it's ok in moderation.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

Re: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

@sidsmom wrote:

"What do you like in your potato salad?"

Uh, POTATO!  A true Potato...Salad.

This is the norm in my world....😀

image.jpeg

@sidsmom ... Uh, I guess that does qualify as "potato salad!"

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Isn't mayo bad for you?  If there's a way to make it without mayo I'd be willing to try that but I doubt it would taste good. 

@truffle ... I guess you could use Miracle whip if you preferred. It's not like I eat mayo every day, so I guess it's ok in moderation.

Miracle Whip?  Is that a real food?  I would never eat that either. 

Honored Contributor

I really hate eggs, so they are out. I have a recipe where you mix a small amount of vinaigrette in with the potatoes while they are still warm. That gives kind of a flavor base when the potatoes and whatever mix- ins you add are cool, you make a dressing of mayo and sour cream and season to taste. This is my favorite.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My husband and I recently (re)discovered the wonder that is a shallot.

I could eat them in just about anything and I think I'll put them in a potato salad this weekend!

Saute in butter in first? Carmelized and a little crispy? Yum!

Respected Contributor

potatoes, grated onion, finely diced red and green pepper, celery, eggs, salt pepper 

Hellmans thinned with a splash of milk and a tiny squirt of mustard

yum!

Esteemed Contributor

I LOVE potato salad but I just simply can't make it very well so I normally buy mine from a deli.  I prefer a red or yukon gold potato along with salt, pepper, hard boiled eggs, mustard and/or dijon mustard, chopped sweet pickles (or pickle relish) & paprika.  I prefer Miracle Whip over Mayo.  I like celery but not in summer/picnic salads so I prefer it without.

My mom makes hers with mashed potatoes (either leftovers or she'll just make the mashed potatoes first before the salad.  That's the only kind of potato salad I will not eat.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

OK are you happy now I have made Denver potato salad for tomorrow and going to grill hamburgers!! LOL LOL LOL Oh the power of suggestion!!!

Honored Contributor

I've tried different variations over the years but now I just stick to a simple recipe.    Potatoes, mayo, sweet pickle relish (with the juice), yellow mustard & salt & black pepper.   Eggs if I have some, a little onion if I have some.    I ALWAYS have the main ingredients.

@Brinklii wrote:

It's potato salad season! So what do you like in your potato salad? I like to make homemade potato salad. I went to the deli a couple days ago, and they had a laminated sheet with about 10 different kinds of potato salad and their ingredients listed on it. None of them were the way we like ours.

We like white potatoes, hard boiled eggs, celery, onion, green olives, a little dill pickle, mayo, yellow mustard, and salt. When it's done, I sprinkle paprika on top of it.

My SIL said that putting eggs in potato salad turns it into "egg salad." Not around here. I don't like sweet pickle, relish, bacon, or cheese in my potato salad.

How do you like yours?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thin chopped celery, green onions, hard boiled eggs, chopped thin, pimentos ,if i can find them, yellow mustard, mayo. I was hungry for homemade a few weeks ago,i baked some potatoes, put into fridge overnight, chopped them up next day and fixed my pot .salad ,worked great. RELISH, i forgot.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.