Respected Contributor

Re: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

I like a simple, tart potato salad.  NO relish or eggs,just some thinly sliced onion and grated carrot.  Sprinkle the warm sliced potatoes with cider vinegar into which salt &pepper has been added.  Then fold in mayo that has been thinned with a little milk.  Heaven!

Honored Contributor

Re: picklesRe: What Do You Like in Your Potato Salad?

I use red potatoes, skin on, but to me the vital ingredient is the hard boiled eggs!

Potato salad with no eggs is just wrong....

Respected Contributor

I am the Potato salad maker for small and large gatherings
Boil red potatoes with skin on. I also put the eggs in the pot with the potatoes..1 egg for every 3 medium size potatoes.
As soon as the potatoes are cooled but warm enough to handle, peel, cut, salt and pepper to desire. I then add green onion and Hellman's mayo. I am not a fan of celery but feel free.
It's my belief that what makes it so tasty is that you MUST have the potatoes warm in order to meld with the mayo. The thought of mixing cold potatoes with mayo doesn't work. Just try it my way.
Honored Contributor

Mine is similar to yours and it's what I get assigned with every time we go to a cook out.

I use russett potatoes, (peeled and diced hot to prevent soaking up water), Dukes mayo, mustard, hard boiled eggs (I leave out all but a few yolks), chopped sweet pickles, a little celery, salt and pepper.

Egg salad is hard boiled eggs, chopped pickles, mayo, a little mustard, and salt and pepper.  You make a sandwich with it.

Respected Contributor

My potato salad has potaotes, mayo, dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish, salt, pepper, and paprika. I love the flavor from dijon mustard and paprika.

Respected Contributor

I don't eat mayo (yuck), so if I do make potato salad, it is with red potatoes, a red wine vinaigrette, and dill.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I like potato salad many different ways.   My family only likes potato salad with sweet relish, onions, and a dressing made from Hellmans mayo, yellow mustard, sugar and vinegar.   

My mothers potato salad was chunky with large cuts of potato, pickles, onion, celery, with a cooked dressing.    The dressing was made of 1 cup buttermilk, 3/4 cup vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp yellow mustard, 1 Tbsp butter, 3 Tbsp cornstarch, and 1 tsp celery seed (if desired).   Cook over medium heat until it gets hot.   Beat 2 egg yolks, temper with some of the hot dressing, then pour into the mixture, stir constantly until mixture thickens.   Remove pan from heat and let cool.  Once the mixture cools, stir in 1/2 cup mayo, and pour over potato salad.   Chill.   Mom added slices of boiled egg on top and sprinkled with paprika before serving.   

Respected Contributor

Isn't mayo bad for you?  If there's a way to make it without mayo I'd be willing to try that but I doubt it would taste good. 

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom

ew! forgot the dill! yup it's a great addition!

And as for the horseradish someone mentioned; I'm going to try that. Love horseradish in mashed potatoes!

Valued Contributor

Lots of good suggestions here.  I made some this week and tried cooking my potatoes in the microwave......epic fail. LOL 

I like green peppers, celery, onions, some pickle juice/vinegar, djion mustard, a bit of garlic and sometimes a touch of hot sauce.

I used to use half mayo and half Miracle whip but have started subbing out some of my mayo in potato salad and hard boiled eggs w/full fat greek yogurt. 

I used russets this time but will prob switch to red potatos next time.