Honored Contributor

I doubt that when the government sent out these checks that they had in mind to send them to deceased people.

It was done in such a rush that mistakes were bound to happen.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

This place is not a source of reliable advice. Why not ask the IRS?

@noodleann  because right now they don't even know.  They are the ones that put out an article that they are looking into this issue and will advise what to do.

We have attempted to contact the IRS for another issue and all we get is a recording indicating due to Covid-19, no one is available to speak with us and if you have a question, e-mail them.  Like that e-mail is ever going to get answered.  

If the IRS is unreachable or not communicating, then wait. There is no reason to do anything with the check at this time. Acting on guesswork given here could lead to problems down the road for the OP.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

This place is not a source of reliable advice. Why not ask the IRS?

@noodleann  because right now they don't even know.  They are the ones that put out an article that they are looking into this issue and will advise what to do.

We have attempted to contact the IRS for another issue and all we get is a recording indicating due to Covid-19, no one is available to speak with us and if you have a question, e-mail them.  Like that e-mail is ever going to get answered.  

If the IRS is unreachable or not communicating, then wait. There is no reason to do anything with the check at this time. Acting on guesswork given here could lead to problems down the road for the OP.

If the government is confused, I think that I'll just put the check in a drawer until they come up with a definitive answer one way or another.

That way, if they want it back, I can just mail them their check back, 100% unspent.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Even without the sources cited on this thread, return it. No question.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819    I agree with you. Put it in a drawer(or a safer place). When they ask for it back you will know where to send it.  I would be afraid if you returned it today they would have no record of ever receiving it and maybe ask for it again.  Of course they could check their records to see if the check was ever cashed.

Esteemed Contributor

I would keep it in a safe place. If you send it back, as confused as the government is I wouldn't trust it would end up in the right place. Wait for them to get their act together and notify you as to the proper procedures. 

Honored Contributor

Did anyone answer how you would cash or deposit a check that isn't in your name?

Without forgery, of course.

Honored Contributor

I would just file it at this point.  It's not your responsibilty to "return" it.  Once things settle down, it will likely be discovered that this was sent out in error, and you can discard it 

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh 

@Meowingkitty 

That's what I did.

The check is tucked away in a safe place, where it will stay until the government gets its act together, and comes up with a definitive answer, one way or another.

What the two of you said makes perfect sense to me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Did anyone answer how you would cash or deposit a check that isn't in your name?

Without forgery, of course.

Actually, I still get some checks made out to my husband who passed away in Nov 2018.  I have an account for these checks where I can just sign them "for deposit only" and they are accepted. I had PoA, if that makes a difference. 

this institution knows he is no longer alive, and these checks are not big ones.  $500 or less.  We're still working out some estate settling issues