Honored Contributor

Re: What Did You Enjoy Most at the Olympics Today?

@qualitygal wrote:

@Sooner, how many events are there in the olympics that we are a part of? And I wonder, what sport would others like to see at the Olympics? I just had one, and forgot it as quickly!

Gosh I don't know. Very interesting question I'll have to look us!

One odd note about a sport:  OKLAHOMA CITY, who would think, has become a great venue for ROWING!  We have a big Boathouse DIstrict on the south side of downtown along the Oklahoma River and, despite the wind here, it is protected and is a great place for rowing competition!  Us Okies are really proud of, and surprised by, that!  LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I like watching the gymnastics, swimming, diving, although the platform diving always makes me nervous, synchronized diving.

I'm sorry that the guy broke his leg. They put their bodies through so much. I hope that he is able to recover and return to the Olympics in four years. It's a shame that his Olympics ended like this.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Deadspin's been running that guy's broken leg vid..had to watch.

Always a 'raised eyebrow' when bones are broken.

Too many drugs.

If one puts enough torque on any bone, it will snap.

Drugs have nothing to do with it.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Too many drugs.

The classic sign of steroid use is broken bones.

The muscles get stronger & stronger & the bones strength can't keep up.  That's when those bad fractures occur.

Torque?  Those gymnasts have been doing those same moves a zillion times since they were 2yrs old.  Muscle/bone strength should be established....until something tips the ratio...ie steriods/drugs.   Raised eyebrow, indeed.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Too many drugs.

The classic sign of steroid use is broken bones.

The muscles get stronger & stronger & the bones strength can't keep up.  That's when those bad fractures occur.

Torque?  Those gymnasts have been doing those same moves a zillion times since they were 2yrs old.  Muscle/bone strength should be established....until something tips the ratio...ie steriods/drugs.   Raised eyebrow, indeed.

Just because they have been doing those same moves "a zillion times since they were two years old", does not mean that they can't accidentally land wrong, and thus put stress/torque on a bone that causes it to break.

Respected Contributor

I'm not much of a sports enthusiast, but I dearly love the "behind the scenes" stories relating to the host country (food,, culture etc).  I love "snippets about what went into making athletes what they are.

I do watch events such as gymnastics and synchronized swimming. I love watching what I call "orphan" sports. Those are sports that I surmise networks and sponsors don't think have a big draw so they don't get much coverage.

I have a question. I don't remember what the event is called, but a number of years ago, a woman's gymnastic event debuted. It involves a floor routine while using a very long ribbon tied to a stick.  I was enthralled, but I've only seen it once-and never again.

Does anybody know what it's called?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

I'm not much of a sports enthusiast, but I dearly love the "behind the scenes" stories relating to the host country (food,, culture etc).  I love "snippets about what went into making athletes what they are.

I do watch events such as gymnastics and synchronized swimming. I love watching what I call "orphan" sports. Those are sports that I surmise networks and sponsors don't think have a big draw so they don't get much coverage.

I have a question. I don't remember what the event is called, but a number of years ago, a woman's gymnastic event debuted. It involves a floor routine while using a very long ribbon tied to a stick.  I was enthralled, but I've only seen it once-and never again.

Does anybody know what it's called?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

It's called rhythmic gymnastics.

They also work with a hoop and a ball.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Too many drugs.

Seriously?

You just make stuff up!!!

He landed wrong and broke his leg. It happens.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  Thank you for starting this positive thread!  I also watched the cycling (a little sad for me since my own doctor was struck and killed by a car while cycling with his club this year).  Men's and women's swimming.  Thought both the men's individual men's relay and the women's group relay, where USA got silver were exciting!  Watched men's gymnastics qualifying.  Looking forward to the womens gymnastics qualifying tonight.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Valued Contributor

Enjoyed the mens gymnastics most.  Was really surprised to see that one guy, can't think of his name right now, on the team (glad he is on it).  He was a last minute replacement for another guy who unfortunately got injured during practice recently (sucks for him, I know).