Honored Contributor

Re: What Credit Reporting Companies Are You Happy With?

I don't know if it's enough or not but I froze our credit and am skipping the monitoring.  I only have two credit cards and check both daily.  I know one has a fraud department that keeps a close eye out for odd charges.

Honored Contributor

We got a newsletter from our hospital and it mentions Nerd Wallet.  I've never heard of that one.  Have any of you?

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We got a newsletter from our hospital and it mentions Nerd Wallet.  I've never heard of that one.  Have any of you?

Isn't that a site to compare credit card and bank account rates?

Esteemed Contributor

I think what you are asking about is credit monitoring services not credit reporting companies.  Credit reporting is done by 3 major credit bureaus while many companies offer credit monitoring services.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I share your concerns.  The three nationwide credit reporting companies are supposed to be Equifax (the one that apparently had a breach this past March), Experian, and TransUnion.  For more general info re: a credit freeze and/or fraud alert, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) website has more info (and ways to *help* prevent identity I.D. theft).

I've been wondering if anyone is familar with the smaller credit reporting company Innova.  The credit reporting company was *not* listed along with the three others at the main FTC website, but it's briefly mentioned on their other web page at the same website.  Some have said that they also market their services, though, I don't have first-hand knowledge about their validity.  (I've never personally used "credit karma," but there was some info online re: there being some kind of settlement with the ftc, a few years ago.)

I just wanted to add that one may go to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website to search for whether a business has received any complaints, and if so, what the outcome may have been.  All three of the nationwide credit reporting companies are listed at the BBB (though, not sure if they're a member, which I believe, refers to them paying their yearly dues), and Innovis is listed under its parent company CBC Companies.  There have apparently been complaints about all three (fourth with Innovis) credit reporting agenices, but I'm at least trying to freeze my credit report from the three most well-known credit reporting companies.

Honored Contributor

When you freeze your credit, you are given a password only you know.  You call a number and unlock it, if you want to buy something.  You can still get credit reports you have to jump thru one more loophole than if you didnt.  The idea is someone looking to open credit in your name would have to have the password to unlock i5

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Isn't that a site to compare credit card and bank account rates?

@tansy  From what this newsletter said, it also monitors credit cards as well.  Just thought maybe someone had experience using this site. There is so much out there and  you get so confused looking at all these companies.

Honored Contributor

None, they clearly are all hackable imo..

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

None, they clearly are all hackable imo..

My answer also.