Honored Contributor

What Credit Reporting Companies Are You Happy With?

Since so many of us need to sign up for a credit reporting company to get fraud alerts, I thought it would be nice to post what companies you have found reliable.  For now!  Woman Frustrated

Thanks for responding!

Respected Contributor

Re: What Credit Reporting Companies Are You Happy With?

I use the "Credit Secure" service offered with one of my AMEX cards.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Since so many of us need to sign up for a credit reporting company to get fraud alerts, I thought it would be nice to post what companies you have found reliable.  For now!  Woman Frustrated

Thanks for responding!

I don't want to take this O/T, since I have no favored firm for monitoring, but I have a related question that perhaps someone can answer.

If you freeze your credit, how can it be monitored? I don't see how this is possible.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Thanks for responding!

I don't want to take this O/T, since I have no favored firm for monitoring, but I have a related question that perhaps someone can answer.

If you freeze your credit, how can it be monitored? I don't see how this is possible.

@noodleann  Excellent question!  Never thought of that!  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

i use credit montoring through my capital one card, my discover card, and through credit karma and have been happy with those and the alerts and services they provide.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

The only thing a freeze does is prevent someone from opening a new account with your info.  It does not stop charges on your current accounts.....you need the monitoring for that.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I use the ones offered to me by my cc companies and I am also signed up on Credit Karma. These are both free. I am not willing to pay for services such as these. I'm content with what I have for now.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a little nervous about this latest breach. Even though I am no longer being monitored, I am questioning whether my information is still out there. Twice now I've had companies contact me that their files were hacked and I had 2 years free monitoring by Equifax and the other two together each time. One of those companies was Microsoft, which really scared me. I think the other one was Blue Cross. Now I'm on pins and needles wondering how I can find out if any of my info was still in their system. Shouldn't they notify me, or are we all on our own to find out?

Respected Contributor

We've signe up with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.  At this point in our lives, we do very little with new credit.  Happy with them or not, they have to be dealt with in certain cases.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

We've signe up with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.  At this point in our lives, we do very little with new credit.  Happy with them or not, they have to be dealt with in certain cases.

We did the same and agree with your assessment of the situation.