Super Contributor

What Cozy Mystery are you reading?

It's been a few months since we cozy mystery readers checked in with what we're reading, so I thought I'd put the question out there.

Any new authors you've found that you want to introduce us to?

After so many interruptions and things on my plate, I've finally begun and am almost through with Town in a Blueberry Jam by B.B. Haywood. Very easy read, as they all are and entertaining.

It's good and I'll read more by this author.

War Eagle!
Trusted Contributor

Re: What Cozy Mystery are you reading?

For cozy mystery lovers who also love dogs, give these a try. I just finished the latest "Chet and Bernie" mystery called The Sound and the Furry by Spencer Quinn. Bernie is the detective and Chet is the dog, and Chet tells the story of their cases in first-person. Sounds quirky, I know, but the books manage to be both charming and funny, and Quinn does a masterful job of keeping Chet a real dog while still getting the story told. Probably as close as a human can come to seeing the world (and a dog's person) through a dog's eyes, nose, and ears!

Trusted Contributor

Hi Honeybit, I love the Spencer Quinn books too. Chet is a riot! I have finished all three Laura Childs series (Tea Shop, Scrapbooking, and Cackleberry Club), and I like them all, but the Tea Shop ones set in Charleston are definitely my favorite. I finished all of Martha Grimes' Richard Jury/Melrose Plant books as well; some are great, some are so-so. I just started a new series (to me) by Australian author Kerry Greenwood, that are called the Phryne Fisher mysteries. This is about a wealthy flapper girl in the 1920's who leaves stuffy England to become a detective in Australia. I've read the first three so far, and have enjoyed them. They are also showing this series on PBS, calling it "The Miss Fisher Mysteries". The first book in the series is called "COCAINE BLUES".
Trusted Contributor

On 1/15/2014 HoneyBit said:

For cozy mystery lovers who also love dogs, give these a try. I just finished the latest "Chet and Bernie" mystery called The Sound and the Furry by Spencer Quinn. Bernie is the detective and Chet is the dog, and Chet tells the story of their cases in first-person. Sounds quirky, I know, but the books manage to be both charming and funny, and Quinn does a masterful job of keeping Chet a real dog while still getting the story told. Probably as close as a human can come to seeing the world (and a dog's person) through a dog's eyes, nose, and ears!

I have read the first two of the Chet and Bernie series and plan to keep going with them. Someone else who has written another good book seen through a dog's eyes is W. Bruce Cameron who wrote A Dog's Purpose and there is a sequel called A Dog's Journey.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

I just finished a new-to-me cozy I found at our library's Book Sale. The author is Dolores Johnson and the book is Taking the Wrap (a Mandy Dyer Mystery). Mandy Dyer runs a dry cleaning shop, and the plot revolves around a red coat left behind in a restaurant in place of a tan car coat. (There must be a law requiring cozies to use puns in their titles!) It was a fun, light read perfect for this bitter January weather -- she has other titles listed in the book, but I haven't searched for them yet.

Respected Contributor

I posted this in the other book thread, but wanted to mention it here because it's very much a cozy. The Darling Dahlias and the Texas Star by Susan Wittig Albert is the 4th (I think) in this series set in Darling, Alabama in 1930. The Darling Dahlias are the local garden club who get involved in gentle mysteries. It's been a while since I read the last book in the series so I had to reacquaint myself with the characters, but it didn't take long for the down home southern charm to draw me back in. A very enjoyable series.

Contributor

On 6/20/2013 smokymtngal said:

MESPal and Dawg lover, thanks for the recommendations.

I think I was drawn to the Isabel Dalhousie series because they are set in Scotland. It seems that England, Scotland and Ireland are just fascinating locations for me.

I have read great reviews of the No 1 Detective Agency books. I guess I should broaden my horizens a little.Smile

I really appreciate your responses.

smokymtngal, I too love the Hamish McBeth series. I completed the series last week and am hoping the next is in the works. I also agree that M.C. Beaton needs to make some changes as the series is getting predictable (but I still love it).

Super Contributor

Right now I'm reading Murder at the PTA by Laura Alden. I picked this one up because I needed a quick book to read. It's good and I'll probably read others by her at some point, but I have too many more in my TBR stack!

War Eagle!
Respected Contributor

On 6/12/2013 MESPal said:
On 6/11/2013 BornToShop said: I highly recommend THE DEAD-END JOB mystery series by Elaine Viets. The books should be read in order. SHOP TILL YOU DROP is the 1st Book. Floridians in particular will love these books. The main character, Helen Hawthorne lives from one job to the next, running from her past, and leaving a trail of murder mysteries as she goes. Lots of fun, humor and yes, romance.

I LOVE both series by Elaine Viets!! Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper is the other seres. Helen in the Dead End Jobs series is fabulous!! I agree with all you said!

I also LOVE both of these series. I am now on book 4 of the Mystery Shopper series. Finished the Dead-End Job series, and waiting for the next book.

Super Contributor

On 1/28/2014 loveour4leggedfriends said:
On 6/12/2013 MESPal said:
On 6/11/2013 BornToShop said: I highly recommend THE DEAD-END JOB mystery series by Elaine Viets. The books should be read in order. SHOP TILL YOU DROP is the 1st Book. Floridians in particular will love these books. The main character, Helen Hawthorne lives from one job to the next, running from her past, and leaving a trail of murder mysteries as she goes. Lots of fun, humor and yes, romance.

I LOVE both series by Elaine Viets!! Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper is the other seres. Helen in the Dead End Jobs series is fabulous!! I agree with all you said!

I also LOVE both of these series. I am now on book 4 of the Mystery Shopper series. Finished the Dead-End Job series, and waiting for the next book.

Love, love, love both series and have them all.

I also love the Scumble River series by Denise Swanson.

War Eagle!