Honored Contributor

Re: What Christmas presents did you buy for your parents when you were a kid?

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

Most I can't remember.I know my dad always reminded us before Christmas NOT to buy him Old Spice, LOL! Probably bought Dad the usual: tie tac/ bar, sweater,cigars and such. One year someone gave him jeans. He refused them.

Best gift I ever bought mom was probably the year I picked up seasonal work in a mall jewelry store. With my discount I bought her a Mother's ring, with all the kids' birthstones. Along with her wedding set she wore that ring on her right hand every day for decades, and she was not much for jewelry (until Joan Rivers came along). Many years later I made her a big basket filled with "luxury" items. It was a great presentation. She had her eye on that big basket and was delighted when told it was her gift! Another time I gifted her a mink handbag that had been mine that she really coveted. Mom liked any gift as long as it was not green! (the color, not cash, LOL!) I have no idea why that was.

One christmas when i was in high school me and my brothers bought my mom the mothers ring with the birthstones.  I have it now, and like it so much.  And it fits.

We did that one year for Mother's Day when I was in 7th grade and my younger brother and sister were in elementary School.  I have it now myself.  Mom loved that ring but when she was failing and my little sister had already passed on Mom asked me to treasure it.  I do

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I started giving my parents gifts when I started earning my own money from a paper route I had when I was 12.  I was so proud that I had 20 dollars to buy my mother a microwave plate for making bacon.  She loved it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LdyBugz wrote:

@minkbunny  YES!  Prince Albert tobacco!  Thanks for jogging my memory, and, now I recall my brother and I saying that joke about letting Prince Albert out of the can!  Too funny, and a great memory......thank you!  🙂

@LdyBugz  Sir Walter Raleigh was another one.  LOL  Poor guy was not as popular and probably still waiting in that can.  I remember both jokes.

Image result for sir walter raleigh in a can

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I do not remember what I gave my mom when I Was a kid. My mom died in 1979 at 51 yrs old. When I was a bit older she loved Estee Lauder perfume and that's what I remember giving her. I cant think of what else I may have given her.

My dad died in 2011. After mom died I remember getting him everything from shirts, to ties to pants to small appliance type things to blankets. 

I never bought anything extravagant another words. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles