Super Contributor

What Can You Tell Me About Destin, FL

I am considering relocating to Destin, FL...wondering if any of you can tell me the good and bad...

I have lived in FL (West Coast) before, so am aware of the heat/humidity and the "snowbirds", etc.

Just looking for any info you can share...places to live, etc...

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: What Can You Tell Me About Destin, FL

[ Edited ]

@Sunnyfield

It's coincidental that you asked about this.  I just googled "The Best Places to Live in Florida 2017" and came across one of the most informative blogs I've ever read. It's written by a man named Ron Stack I believe was his name.  He named all the top 5 best places to live and why, and the places that were not in the top 5 and why.  Destin is among the top 5, and, he can tell you why.  You also see responses from locals. 

It's good that you are willing to do some research on this.  I was shocked to read that Orlando has more crime than NYC, and other places that I thought would be paradise are not so much.  Daytona Beach for example, has been renamed by locals as Dumpster Beach.  

There are many places that are still worth considering, and, if I'm not mistaken (and I could be because I don't retain facts like I once did) Destin is a good place.

Read the article and join in.  I think you would learn a lot about Florida that you may not know.  I know I did.  

Good luck !!

https://www.stateoffloridaliving.com/best-places-live-florida-2017/

Esteemed Contributor

We spent a summer vacation in Destin about five years ago ... loved it!  My husband is a fisherman and couldn't say enough good things about the town, in general and fishing buddies he met, in particular.

Trusted Contributor

Either the House Hunters or Beachfront Bargain Hunt TV shows have had 2 or 3 episodes of people seeking a property in Destin, FL. It looks like a really nice place to live. If you get HGTV keep your eye open on those two shows for reruns.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad you brought up the subject and hope you can have a long visit in Destin soon. We have a visit scheduled in November to check out 30A Florida -- just east of Destin. We want to have winter visits in a warmer climate in 3 years. Also interested in Amelia Island. Maybe Panama City. We've already visited 3 other areas. Best wishes to you. As someone said, between travelogues online and physical visits, you'll know if its a good fit. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Occasional Contributor

Traffic is bad during summer & warmer holidays. Try it out for a week or 10 days to see if it would be an issue. Personally I like the Jax/St. Augustine areas much better, and Vero Beach...less tourists when you "need" to have some sense of normalcy and decreased traffic.

Honored Contributor

If you go there look up the developments my late husband and I built.  Magnolia Harbor and Magnolia Village.  They are in Navarre, not far from Destin.