Honored Contributor

Re: What Are Your Favorite Summer/Beach Songs

I grew up on the beaches of Southern California (Orange County) with the surfers so for me it is definitely the Beach Boys.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was watching my local news this morning and they asked some people what their favorite songs to play at the beach were. It got me thinking what mine were. To me it's not necessarily a summer song but it evokes memories you have tied to the song. Anything by The Beach Boys is a no brainer. I love Summer In The City, Lovin' Spoonful, The Boys Of Summer, Don Henley, and Hot Fun In The Summertime, Sly And The Family Stone. I also love Under The Boardwalk by The Drifters and Up On The Roof the James Taylor version. Two songs bring me back to my childhood. My family spent the week in the country and we were eating at a restaurant. My sister put money in the jukebox to play I Was Made To Love Her by Stevie Wonder. Well we waited for that song to play until we had to leave, and wouldn't you know it came on as we were leaving!Also I remember shopping for shoes for the new school year (I wore corrective shoes so it was this one or that one), and being unhappy I was promised pizza as a reward. I remember I Can't Help Myself by The Four Tops blasting on the jukebox of the pizzeria and being in heaven with my pizza! I'm sorry if I rambled on , but I would love to read all your happy summer memories too!

I would have to say  Summer In The City....BUT also have memories of sitting on the beach and hearing so many times Jumpin Jack Flash....so that truly reminds me

of summer!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beach boys, the best.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

"Smooth" - Rob Thomas and Santana

Respected Contributor

The Beach Boys ARE summer!  and The Vogues.  I remember one summer 10CC " I'm Not in Love"  played all the time.  I still remember being on vacation and was at a barn on a hill, by myself at the time.  Sitting, watching a storm roll in and the rainshowers started with the scent of hay and the sound of horses munching grain and that whistful song was playing on the transister radio.  Odd summer song but a perfect memory to keep.

Honored Contributor

Here in Nebraska, what beach? How about "How Great Thou Art" by Elvis or J.D. Sumner?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I spent every summer at Cherry Grove and Ocean Drive dancing to beach music!  Love it!

Anything Temptations - especially Unchained Melody.  Takes me right back to being 16.

Have frequenty get together with friends just to shag.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I was born in 1963 so a lot of my favorite summer songs are songs of the 70's; way too many to list here but some were as follows:

Rock the Boat (forget who sang this) - my cousin and I used to sit on her front steps and sing this at  the top of our lungs....much to the neighbors dismay!

My Love (Paul McCartney), I'm Not In Love (10cc), lots of Carpenters songs, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John).  These songs don't necessarily speak of summer, but they are summer songs to me because that's when I remember hearing them the most! 

Music was a big part of my life growing up....we were always listening to the radio growing up...the beach, camping, swimming in our backyard pool, long car trips to the shore.  It's amazing how a song can bring you right back to a certain place and time! 

Trusted Contributor

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet

Respected Contributor

I think you pretty much nailed them! Good picks!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.