Super Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2014

I'm just about to start to read in Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok. It's about a girl growing up in Chinatown who discovers ballroom dancing as an escape. I loved this author's first novel, Girl in Translation, and couldn't wait for this book to come out.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/2/2014 SAgal said:

I have an e-book waiting that I checked out from the LIBRARY! I've never done this before and it was so easy to do. it's called THE END OF EVERYTHING and I'm anxious to finish MIDWIVES so I can start it!

Hi SAgal, I read The End of Everything some time ago, and I really enjoyed it. It's not the happiest of books (by a long shot) but I thought it was very well written and certainly kept my interest. I hope you enjoy reading your library Kindle book. It's a piece of cake! Just as a heads up, just remember that they will cut the book off at a certain time, so I suggest you leave yourself enough time to read it without rushing (as I've done) because they will just delete the book and then it's gone. Enjoy!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

On 9/3/2014 F1wild said:

I'm just about to start to read in Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok. It's about a girl growing up in Chinatown who discovers ballroom dancing as an escape. I loved this author's first novel, Girl in Translation, and couldn't wait for this book to come out.

I read MAMBO IN CHINATOWN because I loved GIRL IN TRANSLATION. It was okay, but not a favorite. I will be curious to know how you like it.
Respected Contributor

I've been on waitlist for Jean Kwok's new book, but it's moving s-l-o-w-l-y.

Respected Contributor

On 9/3/2014 sunala said:
On 9/2/2014 SAgal said:

I have an e-book waiting that I checked out from the LIBRARY! I've never done this before and it was so easy to do. it's called THE END OF EVERYTHING and I'm anxious to finish MIDWIVES so I can start it!

Hi SAgal, I read The End of Everything some time ago, and I really enjoyed it. It's not the happiest of books (by a long shot) but I thought it was very well written and certainly kept my interest. I hope you enjoy reading your library Kindle book. It's a piece of cake! Just as a heads up, just remember that they will cut the book off at a certain time, so I suggest you leave yourself enough time to read it without rushing (as I've done) because they will just delete the book and then it's gone. Enjoy!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding sunny's post or there is really a big difference in libraries. I get almost all my e-books from the library and they never just disappear. I get an email when my books are within 3 days of expiring. And I've found if I disconnect from wi-fi, Amazon has no way to end my library loan. I've done this if I need an extra day or two to finish a book. This only works for library loans through Amazon, though. If you are getting your books through the Overdrive App it doesn't work. But Overdrive books show how many days are left on your library loan (they count down every day).

Super Contributor

On 9/3/2014 sunala said:
On 9/2/2014 SAgal said:

Good to know - thanks!
Super Contributor

On 9/3/2014 smokymtngal said:
On 9/3/2014 sunala said:
On 9/2/2014 SAgal said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding sunny's post or there is really a big difference in libraries. I get almost all my e-books from the library and they never just disappear. I get an email when my books are within 3 days of expiring. And I've found if I disconnect from wi-fi, Amazon has no way to end my library loan. I've done this if I need an extra day or two to finish a book. This only works for library loans through Amazon, though. If you are getting your books through the Overdrive App it doesn't work. But Overdrive books show how many days are left on your library loan (they count down every day).

Since this is my first book I'll have to see what happens!
Super Contributor

Have four e-books on HOLD at the library - THE FORTUNE HUNTER, MR MERCEDES, IN THE LAKE OF THE WOODS and LUCKY US. Anyone read any of these? Yea or nay?
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/2/2014 LoriLori said:
On 9/1/2014 sunala said:

Thank you Lainey for keeping this wonderful thread going every month! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I'm now reading The Woman who Wasn't There by Robin Gaby Fisher. It's a true story about a survivor of the World Trade Center who was seriously wounded in the attack and whose fiance was killed there. The sub-title is "The True Story of an Incredible Deception." I'm half way through and I can't imagine how this brave woman, who became a famous leader for survivor's rights, deceived anyone. It's very good and I can't wait to get back to it.

Happy reading everyone!

Sunala, please don't miss the terrific documentary. There are two documentaries about her but I'm referring to the one with the same name as the book you're reading, which originally aired on Discovery ID. It's unforgettable, seeing her in action.

LoriLori, my mouth hung open when I finished reading this book. I had no idea what was going to happen! Today I rented the documentary that Tania is in, from Amazon. I have a month to watch it, and I'll probably watch it more than once. I googled Tania to see what she looked like, which was nothing like I'd pictured her. What an amazing story, wasn't it? I highly recommend this book to anyone who would like to read about a huge deception regarding the Sept 11 attacks. Amazing!

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/3/2014 SAgal said: Have four e-books on HOLD at the library - THE FORTUNE HUNTER, MR MERCEDES, IN THE LAKE OF THE WOODS and LUCKY US. Anyone read any of these? Yea or nay?

SAgal, I think the only one I read of these books is Mr. Mercedes, and I loved it. Be prepared; there is a sequel coming {#emotions_dlg.laugh}