Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2015

I tend to read certain genres for a while which recently brought me to Of Mice and Men. I was mesmerized. I had never read Steinbeck before. Now, I am reading The Grapes of Wrath. A must-read. I only regret not having read Steinbeck decades ago.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy Lindy, that cover reminds me of a comic book, lol.

Respected Contributor

Golden State by Stephanie Kegan so far excellent Maybe the cover is misleading

Golden State: A Novel

Growing up in the 1960s in one of California’s most prominent political families, Natalie Askedahl worshipped her big brother, Bobby, a sensitive math prodigy who served as her protector and confidante. But after Bobby left home at sixteen on a Princeton scholarship, something changed between them. Now that Natalie is happily married, with a career and two young daughters, her only real regret is losing Bobby.

Then, a bomb explodes in the middle of her seemingly ideal life. Her oldest daughter is on the Stanford campus when one person is killed and another maimed. Other bombings follow across California. Frightened for her family, Natalie grows obsessed with the case until she makes an unthinkable discovery: the bomber’s manifesto reads alarmingly like the last letter she has from Bobby.

Valued Contributor

"They never found his hands."

Isn't that a wonderful opening sentence?

The Forgers

Honored Contributor

Definitely.

Trusted Contributor

I was browsing on Amazon tonight and found out some exciting news about upcoming books. Laura Levine will have a new book, "DEATH BY TIARA" (takes place at a teen beauty pageant) coming out on June 30th; Sue Grafton's new book "X IS FOR ......" (title will be announced later) is coming out on August 25th; and Janet Evanovich's new book, "TRICKY TWENTY-TWO" will come out on November 17th! Looking forward to reading all of them!
Honored Contributor

In Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, a terrible secret is about to be uncovered by a woman whose daughter vanished seven years ago without a trace…

And now a new clue has surfaced…a doll that is the spitting image of Claire Doucett's missing child, right down to the tiny birthmark on the girl's left arm. A chance sighting of the eerily lifelike doll in a French Quarter collectibles shop leaves Claire shaken to her core…and more determined than ever to find out what happened to her beloved Ruby.

When the doll is snatched and the store's owner turns up dead, Claire knows the only person she can turn to is ex-husband Dave Creasy, a former cop who has spent the past seven years imprisoned by his own guilt and despair. He let Claire down once when she needed him the most. Can she make him believe the doll really exists? She'll have to if they're to survive an encounter with a brutal psychopath—the dollmaker—who stole their future to feed an obsession that will never die.

Trusted Contributor

I read Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross. I'm looking forward to continuing on with this series to see what happens next with this interesting cast of characters.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2015 lolakimono said:

In Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, a terrible secret is about to be uncovered by a woman whose daughter vanished seven years ago without a trace…

And now a new clue has surfaced…a doll that is the spitting image of Claire Doucett's missing child, right down to the tiny birthmark on the girl's left arm. A chance sighting of the eerily lifelike doll in a French Quarter collectibles shop leaves Claire shaken to her core…and more determined than ever to find out what happened to her beloved Ruby.

When the doll is snatched and the store's owner turns up dead, Claire knows the only person she can turn to is ex-husband Dave Creasy, a former cop who has spent the past seven years imprisoned by his own guilt and despair. He let Claire down once when she needed him the most. Can she make him believe the doll really exists? She'll have to if they're to survive an encounter with a brutal psychopath—the dollmaker—who stole their future to feed an obsession that will never die.

So did you read it? How was it?

dawg lover thanks for the new Laura Levine book.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I started Running Blind by Cindy Gerard, another of her "One-Eyed Jacks" series.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum