Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2015

On 3/8/2015 Judaline said:

So did you read it? How was it?

dawg lover thanks for the new Laura Levine book.

I finished it today. Lots of twists, but a bit creepy, especially when the author describes the dolls!

Honored Contributor

I just read this one today-

I thought this one was really good- suspenseful!

WINNER OF THE MARY HIGGINS CLARK AWARD

Jenny Milchman’s Cover of Snow is a remarkable debut, a gripping tale of suspense in the tradition of Gillian Flynn, Chris Bohjalian, and Nancy Pickard.

Waking up one wintry morning in her old farmhouse nestled in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, Nora Hamilton instantly knows that something is wrong. When her fog of sleep clears, she finds her world is suddenly, irretrievably shattered: Her husband, Brendan, has committed suicide.

The first few hours following Nora’s devastating discovery pass for her in a blur of numbness and disbelief. Then, a disturbing awareness slowly settles in: Brendan left no note and gave no indication that he was contemplating taking his own life. Why would a rock-solid police officer with unwavering affection for his wife, job, and quaint hometown suddenly choose to end it all? Having spent a lifetime avoiding hard truths, Nora must now start facing them.

Unraveling her late husband’s final days, Nora searches for an explanation—but finds a bewildering resistance from Brendan’s best friend and partner, his fellow police officers, and his brittle mother. It quickly becomes clear to Nora that she is asking questions no one wants to answer. For beneath the soft cover of snow lies a powerful conspiracy that will stop at nothing to keep its presence unknown . . . and its darkest secrets hidden.

Honored Contributor

I'm about halfway finished with this one-

Suspenseful and cinematic, Bittersweet exposes the gothic underbelly of an idyllic world of privilege and an outsider’s hunger to belong.

On scholarship at a prestigious East Coast college, ordinary Mabel Dagmar is surprised to befriend her roommate, the beautiful, wild, blue-blooded Genevra Winslow. Ev invites Mabel to spend the summer at Bittersweet, her cottage on the Vermont estate where her family has been holding court for more than a century; it’s the kind of place where children twirl sparklers across the lawn during cocktail hour. Mabel falls in love with midnight skinny-dipping, the wet dog smell that lingers near the yachts, and the moneyed laughter that carries across the still lake while fireworks burst overhead. Before she knows it, she has everything she’s ever wanted: friendship, a boyfriend, access to wealth, and, most of all, for the first time in her life, the sense that she belongs.

But as Mabel becomes an insider, a terrible discovery leads to shocking violence and reveals what the Winslows may have done to keep their power intact - and what they might do to anyone who threatens them. Mabel must choose: either expose the ugliness surrounding her and face expulsion from paradise, or keep the family’s dark secrets and make Ev's world her own.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/4/2015 beckyb1012 said:

Just finished Still Alice, Lisa Genova. Very good book hope to see the movie in the future.

Just finished this book today. excellent, get out your tissues when reading!!
Trusted Contributor

On 3/1/2015 dawg lover said: I just read Danielle Steel's new book, "PRODIGAL SON". It was a fast, enjoyable read, about two very different twin brothers.
I really enjoyed reading this,
Trusted Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Troop_Angel said:

I tend to read certain genres for a while which recently brought me to Of Mice and Men. I was mesmerized. I had never read Steinbeck before. Now, I am reading The Grapes of Wrath. A must-read. I only regret not having read Steinbeck decades ago.

He is my altimeter favorite. I don't mean to be rude,but how old are you???? I never meet anyone who never read his books. You must read East OF Eden,it's his best. I re-read every so often. It's the only book I've ever read more than once,,
Esteemed Contributor

GODDESSES NEVER AGE , CHRSTINA NORTHTRUP. Was on PBS program, very good advice.
Super Contributor

On 3/8/2015 Epicurean said:

I tend to read certain genres for a while which recently brought me to Of Mice and Men. I was mesmerized. I had never read Steinbeck before. Now, I am reading The Grapes of Wrath. A must-read. I only regret not having read Steinbeck decades ago.

He is my altimeter favorite. I don't mean to be rude,but how old are you???? I never meet anyone who never read his books. You must read East OF Eden,it's his best. I re-read every so often. It's the only book I've ever read more than once,,

Epicurean, I see your post has fallen victim to the dreaded "Auto-correct", but I know what you mean. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

We just read East of Eden for our book club last month. I have been trying to get them to read Steinbeck forever (the 6 years I've been there) and they finally agreed.

We are all 50+ years old, and I was amazed at how many had never read anything by him before. It is one of the first books we have read that everyone loved and those who hadn't read him before thanked me for being so persistent.I had read many but never this one, and agree, it is the best.

DO NOT watch the James Dean movie and think you have heard this story. The fact that they were allowed to use the title and destroy this marvelous book is an outrage. The 1980's mini-series, on the other hand, follows the book very closely and even uses Steinbeck's words and dialogue. I do recommend that. Jane Seymour is a super Cathy/Kate.

Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2015 Linders Back said:
On 3/8/2015 Epicurean said:

Epicurean, I see your post has fallen victim to the dreaded "Auto-correct", but I know what you mean. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

We just read East of Eden for our book club last month. I have been trying to get them to read Steinbeck forever (the 6 years I've been there) and they finally agreed.

We are all 50+ years old, and I was amazed at how many had never read anything by him before. It is one of the first books we have read that everyone loved and those who hadn't read him before thanked me for being so persistent.I had read many but never this one, and agree, it is the best.

DO NOT watch the James Dean movie and think you have heard this story. The fact that they were allowed to use the title and destroy this marvelous book is an outrage. The 1980's mini-series, on the other hand, follows the book very closely and even uses Steinbeck's words and dialogue. I do recommend that. Jane Seymour is a super Cathy/Kate.

I agree that Jane Seymour was spectacular in the 1980's mini-series. What a stunning production!

Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2015 lolakimono said:

I'm about halfway finished with this one-

Suspenseful and cinematic, Bittersweet exposes the gothic underbelly of an idyllic world of privilege and an outsider’s hunger to belong.

On scholarship at a prestigious East Coast college, ordinary Mabel Dagmar is surprised to befriend her roommate, the beautiful, wild, blue-blooded Genevra Winslow. Ev invites Mabel to spend the summer at Bittersweet, her cottage on the Vermont estate where her family has been holding court for more than a century; it’s the kind of place where children twirl sparklers across the lawn during cocktail hour. Mabel falls in love with midnight skinny-dipping, the wet dog smell that lingers near the yachts, and the moneyed laughter that carries across the still lake while fireworks burst overhead. Before she knows it, she has everything she’s ever wanted: friendship, a boyfriend, access to wealth, and, most of all, for the first time in her life, the sense that she belongs.

But as Mabel becomes an insider, a terrible discovery leads to shocking violence and reveals what the Winslows may have done to keep their power intact - and what they might do to anyone who threatens them. Mabel must choose: either expose the ugliness surrounding her and face expulsion from paradise, or keep the family’s dark secrets and make Ev's world her own.

Just finished this one myself a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."