Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2014

I loved UNBROKEN and was surprised to see the main character on WGN, a Chicago TV channel. I did not realize he was still alive. This was about 3 yrs ago.
Respected Contributor

I'm reading After The Storm by Maya Banks. I was up until 2:00 a.m. this morning reading it...so good I can't put it down! I love this series about KGI and the Kelly family!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

I finished UNBROKEN and it didn't disappoint!! This is truly a remarkable story.
Honored Contributor

On 3/12/2014 z-da! said: I loved UNBROKEN and was surprised to see the main character on WGN, a Chicago TV channel. I did not realize he was still alive. This was about 3 yrs ago.

You're not supposed to know that till you finish the book.

Trusted Contributor

I have been MIA for a while, but still reading. It soothes the savage beast Wink

Currently I am reading Foursome by Jane Fallon. It's sort of a BritLit romantic comedy about two couples who have been friends for decades during a period when one of the couple's marriage is falling apart. It's a little depressing at times but the characters are more complex than the average book of this ilk. The story line seems predictable, but I am a little over halfway through it, so we'll see if that proves to be true. All in all, it is interesting and I am enjoying reading it.

On a side note, the author Jane Fallon is the long-time partner of Ricky Gervais, the actor and comedian.

Honored Contributor

On 3/12/2014 Linders Back said:
On 3/12/2014 Lilysmom said:

Yahooey, I didn't find the book overwhelmingly sad which you might expect given the subject matter but I did recall that I didn't like the ending. I found it too abrupt. It's a few books ago for me. Give it a try and see what you think. LM

What I liked about The Book Thief, was that it didn't paint the characters as either Black or White as so many Holocaust/WWII books do. They showed that all Germans weren't bad and I think that is a very important message.

I am 25% in and I agree LindersBack - there is always good and evil in all walks of life. Gender, ethnicity and race. Skyblue and Lilysmom - thanks for your insight.

Respected Contributor

I knew I would finish After The Storm by Maya Banks last night, I just had to see how it ended.

Now I'm starting Cold Snap by Allison Brennan - another in her Lucy Kincaid series.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Sassenach1 said:

I am almost finished with 11/22/63, a Stephen King novel. Different from all his other books I have read, very character driven and absolutely un-put-downable. I do not want it to end.

I read 11/22/63 about two years ago and still think it is one of the best books I've ever read. I have recommended it to several people who have loved it also. I'm always nervous recommending such a LONG book but it hasn't disappointed yet!!! Enjoy...wish I could read it for the first time again!!!

Regular Contributor

Unbroken

It is my Book Clubs' choice for this month. I find it well written. Hard to read because of the subject matter. How anyone survived this is truly amazing.

Trusted Contributor

March is turning out to be "Katharine Hepburn month" for me, lol!

First up was a memoir entitled KATE REMEMBERED by A. Scott Berg. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in Hepburn's career and personal life. Had lots of interesting tidbits. The book was beautifully written - Berg is a Pulitzer-prize winning author. Some reviews have been critical of Berg's possible exploitation of his and Hepburn's friendship - and there is probably some truth to that charge. But as Berg pointed out, Hepburn had eventually forgiven her close friend Garson Kanin for his memoir, "Tracy and Hepburn," so I guess he felt justified in writing this book shortly after her death in 2003.

The other memoir on Katharine Hepburn I just finished was the one mentioned above - TRACY and HEPBURN by GARSON KANIN. Again, if you are a KH fan you will thoroughly enjoy this book. It has much more about Spencer Tracy than did the Berg book. It was fast-paced and a really good read.