Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2014

JUDALINE, the book was called CALLING ME HOME by Judith Kiebler (Kibler?). Loved it as well as WHISTLING PAST THE GRAVEYARD. Such memorable characters. Just finished THE GOOD FATHER by Noah Hawley. It is a book about the son of a divorced couple who assinates a political figure. Didn't like this one at all. Did a skim read. With so many great books out there, why stay with the mediocre?

LM
Valued Contributor

I read Peachtree Road years ago when it was released and it is, indeed, a very good one. Anne Rivers Siddons is an excellent writer overall, although I think her later novels are not as good as the earlier ones.

This was to reply to an earlier post, but the "quote" part did not work.

Valued Contributor

I am almost finished with 11/22/63, a Stephen King novel. Different from all his other books I have read, very character driven and absolutely un-put-downable. I do not want it to end.

Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Lilysmom said:

JUDALINE, the book was called CALLING ME HOME by Judith Kiebler (Kibler?). Loved it as well as WHISTLING PAST THE GRAVEYARD. Such memorable characters. Just finished THE GOOD FATHER by Noah Hawley. It is a book about the son of a divorced couple who assinates a political figure. Didn't like this one at all. Did a skim read. With so many great books out there, why stay with the mediocre?

LM

So true! Pull the bookmark. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/9/2014 abbalulu said:

I just finished An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor. It's the first book in a series about a couple of country doctors in what is probably the early 1960's. The books remind me of the James Herriot book series of All Creature Great and Small. They are a good read with an interesting cast of characters. A little off the subject, but do any of you get the Bookreporters.com newsletters? They have lots of information about new releases in hardback and paperback and quite a few give aways. I find it to be a good source for new reading material.

Hi abbalulu, I have read the whole series of the IRISH COUNTRY DOCTOR books and enjoyed all but one of them (I did not like AN IRISH COUNTRY GIRL about the housekeeper, which took a paranormal turn). I agree, they are very much like the James Herriot books, which I loved. Hope he keeps on writing them, as they are very entertaining.
Honored Contributor

Finished Sycamore Row by John Grisham. It was long and didn't have a lot of substance. I haven't read any of his books for a long long time. Should have passed on this one also. A rich older white male committed suicide (terminal illness) and left almost everything to his black housekeeper and caregiver of three years. Contested handwritten will to earlier will leaving the estate to his children.

Starting The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - haven't seen the movie. Opinions? Is it really sad?

Esteemed Contributor

Yahooey, I didn't find the book overwhelmingly sad which you might expect given the subject matter but I did recall that I didn't like the ending. I found it too abrupt. It's a few books ago for me. Give it a try and see what you think. LM

Respected Contributor

On 3/12/2014 Yahooey said:

Finished Sycamore Row by John Grisham. It was long and didn't have a lot of substance. I haven't read any of his books for a long long time. Should have passed on this one also. A rich older white male committed suicide (terminal illness) and left almost everything to his black housekeeper and caregiver of three years. Contested handwritten will to earlier will leaving the estate to his children.

Starting The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - haven't seen the movie. Opinions? Is it really sad?

THE BOOK THIEF was on my BEST BOOK list of 2013! Very moving book! I loved it!
Super Contributor

On 3/12/2014 Lilysmom said:

Yahooey, I didn't find the book overwhelmingly sad which you might expect given the subject matter but I did recall that I didn't like the ending. I found it too abrupt. It's a few books ago for me. Give it a try and see what you think. LM

What I liked about The Book Thief, was that it didn't paint the characters as either Black or White as so many Holocaust/WWII books do. They showed that all Germans weren't bad and I think that is a very important message.

Respected Contributor

Took me longer than it should but finished Nora Roberts Dark Witch (#1 in a new series). It was just ok and a little dark/magical set in Ireland. Will read the rest of the series since I do like her writing.

Onto Kate Christensen (nf) Blue Plate Special.