Super Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2014

On 3/7/2014 smokymtngal said:
On 3/7/2014 Judaline said:

smokymtngal have you read, Bertie Plays the Blues where he puts himself on ebay? I loved this book.

Judaline, I haven't read that one yet. I try to read the 44 Scotland Street books in order and from the list I saw, Bertie Plays The Blues is #7 in the series. I'm just starting #4 The World According To Bertie. In between is The Unbearable Lightness of Scones (#5) and The Importance of Being Seven (#6).

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding an actual list of the books in order, but I think there is a #8 Sunshine on Scotland Street and a #9 Bertie's Guide To Life And Mothers. Alexander McCall Smith does seem to realize that Bertie is the favorite character!

Alexander McCall Smith's website is the place to look:

http://www.alexandermccallsmith.co.uk/books/44-scotland-street/

Books listed in order with pictures of the covers of each. Smile

Super Contributor

Just started Savage Girl by Jean Zimmerman, author of The Orphan Master which i really enjoyed. Got an advanced proof. The book comes out on the 10th.

Plot revolves around an 18 year old girl, reputedly raised by wolves in Nevada, being adopted by a wealthy family and brought back to Manhattan in the 1800's. Narrated by the brother from prison where he is awaiting trial for murder which she probably committed.

Valued Contributor

On 3/8/2014 Linders Back said:

Just started Savage Girl by Jean Zimmerman, author of The Orphan Master which i really enjoyed. Got an advanced proof. The book comes out on the 10th.

Plot revolves around an 18 year old girl, reputedly raised by wolves in Nevada, being adopted by a wealthy family and brought back to Manhattan in the 1800's. Narrated by the brother from prison where he is awaiting trial for murder which she probably committed.

Sounds more than similar to The Girl With No Name who was raised by monkeys. You might like reading it! Found it fascinating and she presently has her own family and is writing a sequel to this book.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished PEACHTREE ROAD written by ANNE RIVERS SIDDONS. Here is the storyline which doesn't do the book justice IMO ... Set amidst the grandeur of Old Southern aristocracy, here is a novel that chronicles the turbulent changes of a great city--Atlanta--and tells the story of love and hate between a man and a woman. When Lucy comes to live with her cousin, Sheppard, and his family in the great house on Peachtree Road, she is an only child, never expecting that her reclusive young cousin will become her lifelong confidant and the source of her greatest passion and most terrible need."..... It is 600 pages long and chronicles two generations of a privileged Atlanta family during a time of great chance for the city of Atlanta. It started a bit slowly for me but that didn't last long. Six hundred pages later I was sorry to see it end. I will read more from this author. Can’t recall who made this recommendation but thanks!!! Happy reading. LM

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2014 PinkSugar said:

12 Years A Slave. Don't know if I'll finish it or not, I just can't get into it. Maybe I'll just rent the movie.

I agree.

Honored Contributor

Just reserved the book Elizabeth Smart wrote about her abduction. It's possible I won't finish it because I have a feeling I don't want to know all the details of how she was treated.

Trusted Contributor

I just finished An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor. It's the first book in a series about a couple of country doctors in what is probably the early 1960's. The books remind me of the James Herriot book series of All Creature Great and Small. They are a good read with an interesting cast of characters. A little off the subject, but do any of you get the Bookreporters.com newsletters? They have lots of information about new releases in hardback and paperback and quite a few give aways. I find it to be a good source for new reading material.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

I am in the middle of UNBROKEN and I am totally hooked! Problem is all I want to do is read, and life is getting in the way!!
Super Contributor

I just finished The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. I typically do not like or read books that involve courtroom drama, but this one caught my interest and had me hooked. The main character is a defense lawyer, and I found myself actually rooting for both him, and his client. This is highly unusual for me. I will read more of this author.

Honored Contributor

I've read a lot of his books. They are either about the lawyer or the cop. I like the cop ones better. When I saw this was a courtroom drama, I passed.