Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2014

smokymtngal have you read, Bertie Plays the Blues where he puts himself on ebay? I loved this book.

Respected Contributor

On 3/7/2014 Judaline said:

smokymtngal have you read, Bertie Plays the Blues where he puts himself on ebay? I loved this book.

Judaline, I haven't read that one yet. I try to read the 44 Scotland Street books in order and from the list I saw, Bertie Plays The Blues is #7 in the series. I'm just starting #4 The World According To Bertie. In between is The Unbearable Lightness of Scones (#5) and The Importance of Being Seven (#6).

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding an actual list of the books in order, but I think there is a #8 Sunshine on Scotland Street and a #9 Bertie's Guide To Life And Mothers. Alexander McCall Smith does seem to realize that Bertie is the favorite character!

Honored Contributor

I haven't been reading them in order, but will probably read those with Bertie in the title. I can pretty much read between the lines to know what has happened with the previous books.

Trusted Contributor

Smoky and Judaline, I have read all the Scotland Street books, and Bertie plays a central role in all of them, even if his name is not in the title of the book. All of these books are wonderful. The website, fantasticfictiondotcom, is very helpful when you are trying to read books in chronological order.
Respected Contributor

On 3/7/2014 Dawg lover said: Smoky and Judaline, I have read all the Scotland Street books, and Bertie plays a central role in all of them, even if his name is not in the title of the book. All of these books are wonderful. The website, fantasticfictiondotcom, is very helpful when you are trying to read books in chronological order.

Dawg lover, thanks for the website info. I'm going to check that out. And yes, I'm glad you mentioned that Bertie is in every book. In the one I just read (that doesn't have his name in the title) Bertie ended up in Paris by himself. (I hope that's more of a teaser than a spoiler.) He is a fantastic character. I wouldn't miss any of his adventures.

Trusted Contributor

Smoky, Book #9 Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers will come out in the US in July, and it is the funniest book yet. I love these books so much that I ordered it from the UK last August, not wanting to wait a year to read it. It is just hilarious; I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Respected Contributor

Dawg lover, on the topic of Alexander McCall Smith, I remember now that you read The Forever Girl and said you liked it but the ending was a little abrupt. I felt that way about La's Orchestra Saves the World. The Forever Girl is always out at my library, even though they have 3 copies of the book. I'll get it one of these days. I tried to read Trains and Lovers, but for some reason couldn't get past the first two chapters. Maybe he doesn't do as well with his stand alone books.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, Smoky, I like McCall Smith's series books better. I am just starting Laura Child's latest book in her Charleston teashop series, called "STEEPED IN EVIL". This is my favorite of the three mystery series she writes.
Trusted Contributor

I read The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott which was a disappointment. Only 2 and 1/2 Stars (out of a possible 5) or maybe 3 if I'm feeling kind.

Next up is Mission Flats by William Landay, the author of Defending Jacob.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Respected Contributor

On 3/8/2014 MrsSweetieBear said:

I read The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott which was a disappointment. Only 2 and 1/2 Stars (out of a possible 5) or maybe 3 if I'm feeling kind.

Next up is Mission Flats by William Landay, the author of Defending Jacob.

After your review, MRS SWEETIEBEAR, I have moved THE DRESSMAKER off my radar. Too many other books to choose.