Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2014

I'm currently reading Very Valentine. Okay in a cute Chic Lit kind of way. So far I'm thinking Lucia, Lucia was much better.

Other books I've read so far this year, enjoyed and recommend are:

Sweetwater - Roxana Robinson {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Doc: A Novel - Mary Doria Russell {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Defending Jacob - William Landay {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

We Are Water - Wally Lamb {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Joyland - Stephen King {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Sycamore Row - Grisham {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

The Last Child - John Hart {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

The Tilted World - Tom Franklin {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

The Wild Rose (last in Donnelly's Rose series) {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I also read Songs of Willow Frost but found it disappointing after Jamie Ford's excellent first book. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2014 Linders Back said:
On 3/3/2014 skyblue said:
On 3/3/2014 Judaline said:

You can't help but like it. And it's true! That's the astounding part.

I wanted to read it before the movie is released and movie trailers start playing. That ALWAYS ruins a book for me!

DON'T ""Google"" or look up anything about the book's true history until you are finished reading!

Great Advice!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/2/2014 janey2 said:

I have been reading a lot lately and would recommend these books which I think are worth a look at, ONCE UPON A LIE by Maggie Barbieri, BEFORE WE MET by Lucie Whitehouse, STILL LIFE WITH BREAD CRUMBS by Anna Quindlen, KILLING AT COTTON HILL by Terry Shames and THE DEEPEST SECRET by Carla Buckley.

I just read Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse too and I really enjoyed it. Followed it up with another British mystery called Dead to Me by Cath Staincliff. It was excellent. Staincliff is the writer of the British T V series Blue Murder which is really good and available on Netflix.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone. Just finished THE BLACKHOUSE by Peter May which I believe was recommended to me (thanks STACIESMOM) on another thread. I really enjoyed this mystery. Here is the storyline and I see that it is a trilogy so I will look for the next books.... A brutal killing takes place on the Isle of Lewis, Scotland: a land of harsh beauty and inhabitants of deep-rooted faith. A MURDER. Detective Inspector Fin Macleod is sent from Edinburgh to investigate. For Lewis-born Macleod, the case represents a journey both home and into his past. A SECRET. Something lurks within the close-knit island community. Something sinister. A TRAP. As Fin investigates, old skeletons begin to surface, and soon he, the hunter, becomes the hunted.

. LM
Frequent Contributor

I'm a little late to the party as they say on this book, but I just finished "The Light Between the Oceans" by ML Stedman. Do yourself a favor and read this book. I look forward to others by her. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I just finished Did You Miss Me? by Karen Rose and really enjoyed it. It kept me guessing until the end what was going to happen.

Now I'm starting Stop Me by Brenda Novak.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Redbug said: I just finished SONGS OF WILLOW FROST by Jamie Ford. I really enjoyed it.

I loved his first book, this one is on my to-read list.........

Esteemed Contributor

12 Years A Slave. Don't know if I'll finish it or not, I just can't get into it. Maybe I'll just rent the movie.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Marell9 said:

lainey, I have read all of Karen Rose's book and enjoyed them.

Marell9, I've read most of them too. They're never a disappointment!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

I read The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert and found it totally engrossing. I thought it was well researched in so many areas and, for all 500 pages, surprisingly easy to read. One of my favorite books so far this year.

I'm almost through Love Over Scotland, the 3rd in the 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith. I've enjoyed it as much as the previous books, mainly due to 6 year old Bertie. I already have the next book in the series on my kindle, The World According To Bertie.