Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2014

You're welcome. I liked that book. Held my interest for sure.

Frequent Contributor

I realize "Mrs. Poe" was much more fiction than historical record. I still liked the book. The author is a good writer. Near the ending...that was a bit too odd. But nevertheless...I did read up on the lives of Francis Osgood and Edgar Allan Poe before diving into the book so I knew it was off.

Now, I'm reading Madame Bovary again. Following that will be Dan Brown's "Inferno", then a biography on Catherine de Medici. I've got my summer reading planned til about mid- to late-July. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone, I know I've been missing for a while, but life interferes sometimes. But, I have been reading the board and doing a lot of reading.

I am now reading The Husband's Secret, which has been mentioned before. I'm about halfway through, and I'm loving it.

In the time since I haven't been posting, some of my favorites were Kent Haruf's books, including The Tie that Binds, Where you Once Belonged, Plainsong, and Eventide. Each one was better than the last one, and now I've offricially read all of his books. He has become one of my very favorite authors. If anyone knows an author who writes like he does, please let me know.

I also read When I Found You by Katherine Ryan Hyde, How to be a Good Wife by Emma Chapman, Between Two Worlds by Roxana Sabieri, The Tin Horse by Janice Steinberg, Zero Day by Mark Russinovich, Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell, Everything to Lose by Andrew Gross, H*e*ll's Bottom by Laurie Pritchard, and Sea of Crises by Marty Steere.

I pulled the bookmark on In Paradise by Peter Matthiessen, The Wives of Los Alamos, The Bear by Claire Cameron, and The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. I tried reading The Book Thief about a half a dozen times, and always shut it again. This time it's off my list for good. I know many of you loved it, but I guess it's just not for me.

I wish you all a happy weekend and hope you're all doing well. I''ll try to visit more often to read all your posts and comments. Hugs to you all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

On 6/12/2014 SWEET said:
On 6/11/2014 SAgal said:
On 6/3/2014 SWEET said:

Finished The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard. Loved this book. Read it in 3 days. I'm a sucker for family stories and this one hit the spot. I won't spoil it, but it surprised me the way it "turned out."

Onto Scratched (nf) by Allen Salkin which is about the Food Network. I love the channel and my niece works there so have to read it.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Hi Sweet, so glad you loved The Mourning Hours - one of my favorite books from last year!

She has a new one coming out in November. See below.

From the author of publishing sensation The Mourning Hours comes a powerful new novel that explores every parent's worst nightmare…

THE FRAGILE WORLD

The Kaufmans have always considered themselves a normal, happy family. Curtis is a physics teacher at a local high school. His wife, Kathleen, restores furniture for upscale boutiques. Daniel is away at college on a prestigious music scholarship, and twelve-year-old Olivia is a happy-go-lucky kid whose biggest concern is passing her next math test.

And then comes the middle-of-the-night phone call that changes everything. Daniel has been killed in what the police are calling a "freak" road accident, and the remaining Kaufmans are left to flounder in their grief.

The anguish of Daniel's death is isolating, and it's not long before this once-perfect family finds itself falling apart. As time passes and the wound refuses to heal, Curtis becomes obsessed with the idea of revenge, a growing mania that leads him to pack up his life and his anxious teenage daughter and set out on a collision course to right a wrong.

An emotionally charged novel, The Fragile World is a journey through America's heartland and a family's brightest and darkest moments, exploring the devastating pain of losing a child and the beauty of finding healing in unexpected ways.

Can't wait - thanks!
Frequent Contributor

If you are a Greg Iles fan, you would probably enjoy "Blood Memory". I enjoyed this story, although it deals with child secks abuse, and therefore, a rather dark read at times. The cross story is a serial killer in Natchez. Starting "The House Girl" next, by Tara Conklin.

Respected Contributor

I listened to the audio of The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. this is a classic story that I had never heard of and is worth reading. It's free on kindle

I also read In The Blood an excellent psychological thriller by Lisa Unger.

Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 lovescats said:

I listened to the audio of The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. this is a classic story that I had never heard of and is worth reading. It's free on kindle

I also read In The Blood an excellent psychological thriller by Lisa Unger.

Thanks for the info on The Yellow Wallpaper. I had never heard of it either, but it has good reviews on Amazon. I love the free downloads. It's a short story so I should be able to find some time to read it.

Esteemed Contributor

audible downloads:

Just finished This is the Story of a Happy Marriage (Ann Patchett)...a collection of previously published articles. It was great! I'd heard the title piece before...twice!...but I never tire of it. Who doesn't like a happy marriage? Other articles were about how she became a writer, competing to get into the LA police academy, how she found (and lost) her dog, book tour, her bookstore...and many more. Very, very enjoyable! Read by the author...she has a great reading voice! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Currently listening to The Willpower Instinct (Kelly McGonigal, Ph. D.). Started a little slow, now very interesting. Learning about "will" power, "won't" power and "want" power. I think I can use some of this! Wink

in print:

Finished The Soldier's Wife (Margaret Leroy) about the German occupation of Guernsey during WWII. It was SO good! What a difficult time for the people there. I found some of it sad near the end (yes, I cried!), but the last page was very satisfying. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/12/2014 SWEET said:
On 6/11/2014 SAgal said:
On 6/3/2014 SWEET said:

Finished The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard. Loved this book. Read it in 3 days. I'm a sucker for family stories and this one hit the spot. I won't spoil it, but it surprised me the way it "turned out."

Onto Scratched (nf) by Allen Salkin which is about the Food Network. I love the channel and my niece works there so have to read it.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Hi Sweet, so glad you loved The Mourning Hours - one of my favorite books from last year!

She has a new one coming out in November. See below.

From the author of publishing sensation The Mourning Hours comes a powerful new novel that explores every parent's worst nightmare…

THE FRAGILE WORLD

The Kaufmans have always considered themselves a normal, happy family. Curtis is a physics teacher at a local high school. His wife, Kathleen, restores furniture for upscale boutiques. Daniel is away at college on a prestigious music scholarship, and twelve-year-old Olivia is a happy-go-lucky kid whose biggest concern is passing her next math test.

And then comes the middle-of-the-night phone call that changes everything. Daniel has been killed in what the police are calling a "freak" road accident, and the remaining Kaufmans are left to flounder in their grief.

The anguish of Daniel's death is isolating, and it's not long before this once-perfect family finds itself falling apart. As time passes and the wound refuses to heal, Curtis becomes obsessed with the idea of revenge, a growing mania that leads him to pack up his life and his anxious teenage daughter and set out on a collision course to right a wrong.

An emotionally charged novel, The Fragile World is a journey through America's heartland and a family's brightest and darkest moments, exploring the devastating pain of losing a child and the beauty of finding healing in unexpected ways.

It sounds a lot like her earlier book. And another one I've read by someone else. If I think of the name I'll post it here for those who like this kind of story.

I enjoyed The Mourning Hours.

ETA...Found it. Some may have already read it. We Were the Mulvaneys (Joyce Carol Oates):

Judd is the youngest of the four Mulvaney children - three boys and a girl - on their parents’ lush farm in upstate New York. In his childhood, Judd is swept along by the sheer energy of the Mulvaneys and their wealth of beloved family stories. But now, 30 years old, Judd looks back through his memories to tell the secrets that eventually ripped apart the fabric of his storybook family.

Keepin' it real.
Occasional Contributor

Just finished Lisa See's CHINA DOLLS. I enjoyed it especially as it took place in San Francisco and I was familiar with the setting and places. It starts in the 1930's and follows 3 Asian girls who perform in the Asian nightclubs that were popular back then.

Now reading SPY FOR HIRE by Dan Mayland. I read his first book THE COLONEL'S MISTAKE and enjoyed it. This is book #2 in the series.