Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2014

SKYBLUE, thanks for the great review of Beatriz Williams' The Secret Life of Violet Grant. Have to pick up my copy next wk.

Just ptb on From Scratch (nf) by Allen Salkin, which is about The Food Network. Too much business and not enough celebs and about the shows for me. Couldn't get past page 34. Wanted so much to read this but couldn't.

Going to read Alice McDermott's Someone next.

Respected Contributor

I didn't know how I would find a book that would top THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRANT but, then I read THE GARDEN OF BURNING SAND by CORBAN ADDISON...OMG! This book is steeped with an Africa I never knew who's beauty ever existed. This book is also action packed with a court room drama that will have you turning the pages at lightening speed. If you like a beautifully written account of justice, family & love, this book is for you. What outstanding books have been released so far this year!
Esteemed Contributor

So many good books ... My list gets longer!
Respected Contributor

On 6/6/2014 Lilysmom said: So many good books ... My list gets longer!

Know the feeling.

Respected Contributor

On 6/4/2014 sandy53 said:

I just read Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottolini. It was a miserable book to read because it was all about one amoral/illegal/stupid decision made after another. The downward spiral was quite predicable, but the ending was not.

This would be a very good book club book choice because there would be so much to discuss.

Totally agree. This was not the best Lisa Scottoline stand alone book; in fact, a few her stand alone's truly stood out for me. I'm sorry I wasted my time.

Valued Contributor

I finally got my Yellow Crocus book by Laila Ibrahim and feel very confident I will love it!

Respected Contributor

On 6/6/2014 RINGER said:

I finally got my Yellow Crocus book by Laila Ibrahim and feel very confident I will love it!

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Shelfari. I hope you like it, too!
Honored Contributor

I just finished THE OTHER TYPIST by Suzanne Rindell. This is her first novel set in New York City in the 1920's. She becomes obsessed with a fellow typist in a police precinct. The ending was a big surprise to me!

Super Contributor

Hi Mrs Sweetie Bear -

I just finished GARDEN SPELLS and loved it - thanks! Now I'm reading SWEET WATER by the author of THE LAST ORPHAN TRAIN and it's great too!

Trusted Contributor

I read The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. There was so much buzz about it because of the movie that I thought it would be a good idea to read it. It was excellent and I highly recommend it. The teens in the book are very mature and insightful.

It would be a good book club choice because of all the possible discussion topics. I doubt that I will see the movie, but I am very glad that I read the book. The kindle price is only $4.99. Good deal.