Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- January 2015

Smoky, sorry if I wasn't clear. What I meant is I'd love to send it to you when I've finished. I have a resolution not to accumulate books again, and I've been finding good homes for them since. Yours would be the perfect home for Flavia, you've given me some great recommendations, and I'd be delighted to pass her on to you. We would have to arrange to be on line at the same time and you could give me your email or I'll give you mine, then I can send it to you or a PO Box or whatever (that's why I said "third tree on the left"). If you want it. Let me know. I want to delete this post too, after you've read it. And if you want it let me know a time to look for you here on line. And if you don't want it or don't want to give me the information, I won't be offended.....Lori

Respected Contributor

Lori, your offer is incredibly generous and I feel bad that I cannot accept. I have a problem in one of my eyes and unless a book is large print I have trouble reading it (that's why I read almost exclusively on my kindle now). Please do not be offended. I am actually overwhelmed by your generosity. I know you will find a good home for your book, as you have demonstrated in the past. Thank you for the offer, my friend. I hope we continue to give each other some good book recommendations.

Honored Contributor

Smoky,'m not offended at all. Wish I could have and I too look forward to good, sometimes great, recommendations Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

The Barter

The Barter is a ghost story and a love story, a riveting emotional tale that also explores motherhood and work and feminism. Set in Texas, in present day, and at the turn of the twentieth century, the novel follows two young mothers at the turning point of their lives. So far pretty good

I never get tired of reading about books either Read this Next by Howard Mittelmark

Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read

Respected Contributor

Finished Delicious by Ruth Reichl. Wonderful book. Never read her cookbooks but had to read this first novel by her. Hope she writes more. Very fast reading.

Billie Breslin has traveled far from her home in California to take a job at Delicious!, New York’s most iconic food magazine. Away from her family, particularly her older sister, Genie, Billie feels like a fish out of water—until she is welcomed by the magazine’s colorful staff. She is also seduced by the vibrant downtown food scene, especially by Fontanari’s, the famous Italian food shop where she works on weekends. Then Delicious! is abruptly shut down, but Billie agrees to stay on in the empty office, maintaining the hotline for reader complaints in order to pay her bills.

To Billie’s surprise, the lonely job becomes the portal to a miraculous discovery. In a hidden room in the magazine’s library, Billie finds a cache of letters written during World War II by Lulu Swan, a plucky twelve-year-old, to the legendary chef James Beard. Lulu’s letters provide Billie with a richer understanding of history, and a feeling of deep connection to the young writer whose courage in the face of hardship inspires Billie to comes to terms with her fears, her big sister and her ability to open her heart to love.

Going to read Betrayed by Lisa Scottoline next.

Trusted Contributor

I recently finished "THE ROSIE EFFECT", which was the sequel to the adorable "THE ROSIE PROJECT" by Graeme Simsion. This book was okay, but not nearly as cute as the first book. Then, I read Tess Gerritsen's new Rizzoli and Isles thriller, "DIE AGAIN". The first part of the book was very gruesome, but then the remainder was great. I am also making my way through a new (to me) mystery series by Rhys Bowen, with the first one being "HER ROYAL SPYNESS." This is a cute, light series and I am really enjoying them.
Honored Contributor

Finished Julian Fellowes's "Past Imperfect." I loved it just as much as I disliked his first novel, "Snobs." Highly recommend for fans of Downton and anyone who enjoys a breezy (if overly long) novel.

Started "Everything I Never Told You" by Celeste Ng. Slow start but I'm hoping it gets better; the reviews have been great.

Honored Contributor

The Third Target - Joel C. Rosenberg

very good

Regular Contributor

Listening to Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series. Have read several but not the complete series and not in published order.

Finished The Beekeeper's Apprentice (1994):

(Agatha nominee; ALA notable book; 100 favorite books of the IMBA)
The book that begins the adventure: In 1915, young Mary Russell meets Sherlock Holmes on the Sussex Downs, and becomes his apprentice-in-crime.

and A Monstrous Regiment of Women (1995):

(Nero Award Winner)
Russell, just twenty-one, meets a charismatic feminist mystic in London and faces a choice about the future.

Just beginning A Letter of Mary (1997):

A first-century manuscript that would turn Christianity on its ear; the death of a friend; and Mary Russell as the private secretary of a misogynist colonel.

I find them exciting in a somewhat subdued manner. I started the series in 1997 when she first published Beekeeper's Apprentice and unfortunately at that time I did not appreciate King's dry wit and wonderful recreation of Holmes and England in the post WWI era.

Super Contributor

On 1/7/2015 brewhaha said:

The Third Target - Joel C. Rosenberg

very good

I got that book from the library today. I just took a chance, thinking I would get on the wait list, but there it was.....just waiting for me!{#emotions_dlg.wub} I can't wait to dive in.