Valued Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- April 2015

I pulled the bookmark on Grey Mountain- Grisham once I realized that my dh had already read the book. I was feeling guilty about buying the book then not reading it.

I have begun At the Water's Edge-Sara Gruen. I'm not very far into the plot, but it is reminding me very much of What the Lady Wants: A Novel of Marshall Field and the Gilded Age-Renee Rosen. Water's Edge involves a rich young man, his wife, and his friend traveling to the Scottish Highlands in 1945. They are seeking to verify the existence of the Loch Ness Monster.

Honored Contributor

I am about halfway through this one, and I have to say that I don't LOVE it. Perhaps it will grow on me...

Cover of Under the Beetle's Cellar

Kidnapped by a cult of religious fanatics, an Austin school bus driver and eleven of his young charges have been held underground at the group's highly fortified compound for forty-six days. While a team of federal negotiators begins to lose all hope of rescuing the hostages, crime reporter Molly Cates sets out to discover everything she can about the cult's iron-willed leader, Samuel Mordecai. And as the clock ticks inexorably, she takes the role of Clarice Starling opposite Mordecai's Hannibal Lecter, engaging in a psychological confrontation as harrowing as any in The Silence Of The Lambs. Tough, terrifying, and relentlessly heart-wrenching, this is a novel whose images no reader will ever forget.

Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2015 scotttie said:

I am about 3/4 way through this one. Fascinating exploration of the Beanie Baby phenomenon and how it came about. It all started with a couple of housewives in Suburban Chicago...

another book I want to read --- mass delusion they got that right

Valued Contributor

A friend and I walked the mall every day at 7 am several years back. We always knew when the new Beanie Baby shipment was in. There was a line 3/4 the length of the mall.

Someone, the Hallmark employees or one of those in line had little numbered cards to keep the line orderly or to prevent loss of life and/or limb. We did see a very heated argument over place in line once.

Super Contributor

Just started A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell. Story of 3 Jewish sisters in NYC who decide to kill themselves on New Years Eve 1999. The story is basically their suicide note and history of the ancestors who preceded them by also committing suicide in some cases:

"The sins of the fathers are visited upon the children to the 3rd and 4th generations".

From GOODREADS: "As they gather in the ancestral Upper West Side apartment to close the circle of the Alter curse, an epic story about four generations of one family—inspired in part by the troubled life of German-Jewish Fritz Haber, Nobel Prize winner and inventor of chlorine gas—unfolds. A Reunion of Ghosts is a magnificent tale of fate and blood, sin and absolution; partly a memoir of sisters unified by a singular burden, partly an unflinching eulogy of those who have gone before, and above all a profound commentary on the events of the 20th century."

It sounds depressing, but the writing is wonderful and quirky and quite humorous in parts. A Reunion Of Ghosts

Valued Contributor

Linders Back: A Reunion of Ghosts sounds very interesting. I enjoy reading novels that span several generations.

Esteemed Contributor

Pateacher, I pulled the bookmark on John Grisham's Grey Mountain awhile ago. Pretty disappointing. I used to like Grisham but then the 'formula' kicked in. Hate that.

Linders Back, A Reunion of Ghosts does sound good. It's on my list. Thanks! LM

Honored Contributor

Just started this historical fiction by the author of Eat, Love, Pray. Hope it's good because it's long, lol.

Image result for signature of all things

Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 lovescats said:
On 4/7/2015 scotttie said:

I am about 3/4 way through this one. Fascinating exploration of the Beanie Baby phenomenon and how it came about. It all started with a couple of housewives in Suburban Chicago...

another book I want to read --- mass delusion they got that right

Watching it all play out was an education in the collectible bubble in general. How it all tied in with the beginning of the internet and the start of ebay. Ty Warner ended up a billionaire and he is quite a character.

Respected Contributor

Finished Julie Hyzy's #3 in her cozy series set in the White House Eggsecutive Orders. It was fast reading.

Onto Nancy Thayer's Nantucket Sisters. Her books are always enjoyable.