Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are Y'all Doing In This Heat and What Are You Eating On Hot Days Like This?

Preparing to sweat another day! It's TX, it's July, and it will be hot until September/October so we just have to "buck up" and deal with it. I had good intentions to get up early and go plant those begonias. Well, I got up early and that's as far as I've gotten.

Slowly walking toward the garage to get my trowel...

The thought of a cool shower after the deed is done is motivating.

But then there is that fan aimed at my bed, beckoning me to return.

Must. Resist.

Respected Contributor

Re: What Are Y'all Doing In This Heat and What Are You Eating On Hot Days Like This?

I live my life in the ac and in this heat , I don't spend time outside.  Just when I go from the car to cool building.  I take my walks at 6am.  So, this heat bubble isn't bothering me much.

Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking of packing my bags and move in with the Eskimo's for the rest of the summer! To hot. I stay in the air conditioning. Promise myself on days like this I can clean all my dust bunnies. Then I think Oh! I can do that on a day when I'm snowed in! Vicious cycle. 

Respected Contributor

Well I live in Florida so we are used to the heat although it has been unusually hot. Yesterday it was 95 it may seem crazy but for us 90 is ok but 95 is too hot. Yesterday I went shopping around 5 PM and I must admit when I got home I felt worn out and hot. I had to drink more water and rest for a short time. I worry about my 90 year old mother in this heat because she tends not to drink enough water anyway. So I stay in as much as I can, I exercise indoors so that is not a problem. I have 3 Shetland Sheepdogs and anyone that knows that breed knows how active they are. Mine are board and want to go out but I have to get them in quickly. They are up and down at the door to go out. I feel bad for them because they need to let out that energy that they have. I try to get them out as early as possible and in the evening. So basically stay indoors, dress in light clothes, drink plenty of fluids, keep the shades down to keep out the sun. I am looking forward to the fall. The fall and winter are beautiful here, once October rolls around we have beautiful weather until the middle of May. 

Super Contributor

@63Chev63 wrote:

I have no complaints however we never had spring.. It went from winter to 2 wks of 60 degree weather and BAM!  80, 90, 100, we are averaging 98 to 115 daily.

The kitchen is off limits now.  Microwave, salads, protein meals for the person that I am helping back to health after a tragic incendent. 

Hi @A60_Chevy.  Now that you mentioned it, was just wondering how your friend is doing.   I read/posted to your separate topic about this awful incident and wondered how she was doing and if any of the food suggestions were useful for the both of you.

Again, a wonderful, loving and compassionate thing you are doing.

Trusted Contributor

I am out by the pool:-)
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like a lot of the nation, the heat here has been beyond brutal.  Every day this month the three H's, Hazy, Hellahot, and Humid.  I just stay home in the AC as much as possible.

I  did have to go to my local Harris Teeter pharmacy this past Friday to pick up a prescription which I was told was ready.  Since I am currently carless, I waited until 8:00 in the evening, took a short bus ride and then had to walk. Got there and was told I couldn't get my prescription, whoever told me I could was wrong because it was too soon, and could I come back in two days!!!  Well, NO I can't. BTW, not pills but an ointment; I know enough not to try to refill pills when I have plenty left.  Was not a happy camper.  Will be getting a ride there tomorrow.

As for cooking, unlike you sensible people (except for those crazy folks standing over a hot grill in the heat, lol) eating fruit, popsicles, sandwiches, and salads, I got a craving for fried chicken and French fries last evening, so I made them both from scratch!  Funny thing though, when I started eating I found that I was more thirsty than hungry and didn't even finish the chicken.

Esteemed Contributor

Home Depot was handing out free bottles of water today.  That was a nice idea in this heat.

Respected Contributor

I have a friend that likes to talk to me several times a day and between her and this heat I can't take it!

In the heat I like to stay calm and take it easy and she is so tiring.

(She knows when I am home)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where I live it is 73 degrees and sunny at 530pm.  A perfect summer day with clear blue skies.

We've had a pretty cool summer so far, so glad for the warmer weather.

ETA: What I did today was some yardwork, a short hike, and now will have margs on the deck. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero