Respected Contributor

Re: What Are Y'all Doing In This Heat and What Are You Eating On Hot Days Like This?

[ Edited ]

I'm making the best of the time inside with the a/c on.  It's been miserable here in NJ.  Way too many HHH days.  I'm ready for fall!

Today, I cleaned out some kitchen cabinets, got rid of things I never used and then reorganized.  Yesterday, I cleaned out a box of old income tax papers and shredded them.  I also have some clothes that need to go to Goodwill. So, I'm making progress on getting stuff cleaned out and organized that I've put off for far too long.  

As far as food is concerned, simple and fast is the way to go in this heat.  The other day, I used my pressure cooker (no added heat to the house) and made carnitas.  I cheated today, and bought a Costco rotissorie chicken and a bucket of their loaded potato salad.  Other days, the grill or simple sandwiches and salads.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: What Are Y'all Doing In This Heat and What Are You Eating On Hot Days Like This?

[ Edited ]

I'm going places that have air conditioning as much as possible. lol

I'd like to say that, when I am home, I jump in my pool to cool off & swim laps. Unfortunately, I don't have a pool so I jump in a cool shower instead a few extra times per day. 

I'm home for a couple hours this afternoon, enjoying ice cold water while listening to Pandora Radio Contemporary Christian music (current song is I can only Imagine by Heritage Singers) but I am about to watch an episode of The Ambassador on Amazon Video (streamed through my TV). I have a small fan blowing on me. No air conditioning. Gets hot.

I will be going out to dinner about 5:00pm.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be quite ready for fall either, though it's my favorite season WHEN we actually get one... IF we could just get a break... The inncessant 90's are working my last nerve. It's too hot even for the pool and it seems like everywhere you go the A/C is either excessive or inadequate after about ten minutes... I've been staying inside quite a bit and reading while sipping iced tea. I might sit on the patio for a bit in the evening when the worst of the heat of the day is over.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I love air conditioning.  I hate when we have to turn the heat on in the house.    I'm either too cold or too hot.  With the air on, I'm always comfortable    I sleep better too.   

Honored Contributor

It it only 67 where I live.  Yesterday we had rain showers.  Today the high is predicted to be 72 (my comfort level is 72 to 75!).  I cannot function in 80 degree heat so my heart goes out to all the people suffering.  

Cooking sockeye salmon with a big green salad for dinner.  

Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

I wonder if I could get cable installed in the fridgerator?  I think I may ask.

@BalletBabe  You made me smile!  Let me know if you get cable in there...I may try that too!Cat Very Happy

Hi @shell garden  Sitting here in the a/c..98 degrees outside and a 50% chance of rain.  Praying for rain...but not storms!Cat Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Valued Contributor

We only have a/c in the bedrooms so I'm hibernating, reading and eating apples and yogurt.  Dinner will be ice cream at this rate. 😀

I may have to get out my favorite hot weather read:  The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Reading about those seven months of blizzards always takes me away from the heat.

Honored Contributor

DiAnne wrote:

It it only 67 where I live.  Yesterday we had rain showers.  Today the high is predicted to be 72 (my comfort level is 72 to 75!).  I cannot function in 80 degree heat so my heart goes out to all the people suffering.  

Cooking sockeye salmon with a big green salad for dinner.  

I want to be where you are!  Smiley Happy   The salmon and salad also sounds awesome.

My comfort level is actually BELOW 60, but I'll take what you have over our mid 90s - or so - lately.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne I vastly prefer the 70's too, (at least for spring and summer, though I do like cooler weather) but I've learned to accept the 80's... The 90's, however, just plain suck... especially when they go on for days and days and days and when they're accompanied by humidity...

Woman Frustrated

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Why are we never happy and always complain!? We long for this kind of weather when we're freezing our you know whats off, scraping and cleaning the car off, and shoveling the 5th snowstorm of the season! Just remember when it's Winter you'll be thinking this wasn't too bad!

Not me. I LOVE the cold and the snow. Shoveling snow is excellent cardio, btw. I seriously need to think about moving to somewhere the temps range from cool to frigid.

@SahmIam too bad we're not neighbors, you could help me shovel!